Months and Calendars in Arabic (was: Synchronic analysis of "rare"?)

Old December 12th 10, 06:50 PM posted to sci.lang,soc.history.medieval,sci.astro
Peter T. Daniels

Default Months and Calendars in Arabic (was: Synchronic analysis of "rare"?)

On Dec 12, 1:39*pm, oriel36 wrote:
On Dec 12, 6:22*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

On Dec 11, 1:01*pm, oriel36 wrote:

On Dec 11, 5:16*pm, Yusuf B Gursey wrote:

On Dec 11, 9:52*am, oriel36 wrote:

On Dec 11, 12:46*pm, Yusuf B Gursey wrote:

On Dec 11, 6:50*am, oriel36 wrote:

On Dec 11, 3:41*am, Yusuf B Gursey wrote:

On Dec 10, 5:23*pm, Dr J R Stockton
wrote:

In sci.astro message
ooglegroups.com, Wed, 8 Dec 2010 20:19:59, Peter T. Daniels
posted:

Are you referring to intercalary months? In the Hebrew calendar every
three years or so, Adar is followed by Adar Sheni (2nd Adar).

I have been led to believe that it is not quite that simple - that the
intercalary month is Adar, preceding the old Adar which becomes Adar II.

I have not seen that in the articles on the Jewish Calendar.. Adar II
is the inrercalary month.

You know something,any calendar hinges on the creation of the equal 24
hour day and the oldest known reference to the precise meaning of the

the Hebrew and Islamic calendars traditionally use sesonal hours, the
day beginning at sunset.

That is a junk statement,the Hebrews used the equal 24 hour day and
actually imprinted their knowledge of this day in their texts.If you
can get back to me on the cause behind the day/night cycle and why
contemporaries believe there is an imbalance of 366 1/4 rotations and
365 1/4 days,then and only then can you discuss calendars of any sort.

give a reference.

Ah,there are thousands and thousands looking for references when they
have to start with the bigger picture such as why the Hebrew author(s)
were very specific with days and dates -

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the
seventeenth day of the month: it was on that day that All the
fountains of the great abyss burst forth, and the floodgates of the
sky were opened" Gen 7 v 11

Now,if you were looking for a reference I would suggest Julius
Oppert's 1877 work 'Die Daten Der Genesis' who re-discovered the
outlines of the Hebrew awareness of timekeeping systems and the way it
is grouped around the genealogical structure from Adam to Noah is a
masterpiece,too good to share with people who would mishandle it which
is why I only rarely mention it.

http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/genesis/genesis5.htm

Enoch's lifespan stands out at 365 years but if I had to explain its
correspondence with the calendar year and the entire structure of the
genealogy then you would lose the point of the masterpiece itself.Try
Campbell page 10 if you require a foundation in Judaeo-Christian
masterpieces -

http://books.google.ie/books?id=c4e8...rontcover&dq=i...

The calendar builders are like the Cathedral architects and although I
am an astronomer,I have a special admiration for these people and
their precise reasoning abilities.You can't give references to
appreciate an extremely satisfying work of art,if you do you have
already lost but showing you some of the subtleties should be
enough,if it isn't then no harm done.-

Ah.. So what you have been failing to reveal all this time is that you
are simply a biblical fundamentalist with no interest in scientific
investigation of ancient calendars.

What sets me apart is the first person to explain the Feb 29th day/
night cycle and 24 hour rotation within context of 365 1/4 days and
rotations in an orbital year in an era which refuses to accept it by
virtue of 'sidereal time' reasoning and the nonsensical idea that
there are 366 1/4 rotations in 365 1/4 days.Now that is fundamentalism
of the worse kind !.

I don't see confident men who can handle the ancient systems let alone
their rough fit with planetary dynamics,I see only intellectual
delirium,at least so far.-

Once again, have you ever heard of Otto Neugebauer?