Merging MPG Files

Old July 21st 03, 10:33 AM
boka_do

Default Merging MPG Files

"dwolf" wrote in message
Hi Group,

I downloaded a series of MPG files that had been posted on the web. They
are all segments of one longer video. What software (preferably low-cost

or
free) can be used to merge these separate files back into a single video?

Thanks for the advice.

--

RAS

if the files are named something like this
file name.mpg (01/27)
file name.mpg (02/27)
all the way to
file name.mpg (27/27)
and you use OE you can select all the files
and then combine and decode the files into
1 big file, for most file types you need all
of the parts of the file or you end up with a
corrupted file but with mpg and mpeg files
if you are missing parts the file will still play
it will be a bit jumpy.
ps. you need to have part 1 of the file as in
file name.mpg (1/27)

Old July 21st 03, 11:23 AM
Rick

"boka_do" wrote in message .. .

"dwolf" wrote in message
[...]

Or, if the files are individual clips and they have the same bitrate
and other parameters, you can simply use the COPY command
to combine them. Open up a DOS window or Command Prompt
and type:

COPY FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPG FINAL.MPG

RickW

Old July 22nd 03, 01:33 AM
Eclipsme

"Ralph Hertle" wrote in message
Rick:

Rick wrote:

[ text omitted ]
Or, if the files are individual clips and they have the same bitrate
and other parameters, you can simply use the COPY command
to combine them. Open up a DOS window or Command Prompt
and type:

COPY FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPG FINAL.MPG

[ text omitted ]

Commands in MS OS's other than DOS may not necessarily be the same.

I don't recall there being a "+" operator in DOS.

The concatenated series of files that is formed with the semicolon, ";",
is redirected to a new filename, e.g., "ALLFILES.MPG", with the
operator, "".

The way I would do that is from the DOS prompt:

CD C:\PATH
COPY FILE1;FILE2;FILE3ALLFILES.MPG

Execute the commands with a CR.

There might be a way to intersperse instances of a file that has no
sound data between the sound data files. It would seem that some periods
of silence would allow the sound clips to be separated.

Ralph Hertle

The original posting is the correct way to concatenate files, though I am
not sure it will work with mpgs. However, I would add the /s switch to make
sure it is a binary transfer and not ASCII. The full command would be -

COPY FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPG FINAL.MPG /s

Harvey

Old July 22nd 03, 08:23 AM
Rick

"Ralph Hertle" wrote in message ...
Eclipsme:

You're right. The command,

COPY FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPG FINAL.MPG

places the concatenated files, FILE1.MPG, FILE2.MPG, FILE3.MPG, into the
new file. FINAL.MPG . The original files remain unmodified.

The command,

COPY FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPGFINAL.MPG

places the concatenated files, FILE2.MPG, FILE3.MPG, into the file,
FILE1.MPG, and places only a concatenated ASCII text directory list of
the concatenated files into an existing file, FINAL.MPG .

The binary switch is probably a good idea.
Should it be at: COPY/S ?

No the binary switch is /B, e.g.

COPY /B FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPG FINAL.MPG

Also, all of the individual files have to be the same size, bitrate etc. or
else your player will get very confused.

RickW

Old July 23rd 03, 10:58 AM
boka_do

"Steven Gray" wrote in message
"Eclipsme" wrote in
:

I don't remember an /s switch. How about
COPY /B FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPG FINAL.MPG ? Don't forget the
spaces on either side of the + signs.

Sorry, the correct switch is /B for Binary.

COPY FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPG FINAL.MPG /B

I could be wrong, but I think you need to put the /B where I put it. At
the end, it acts only on the file immediately preceding it. At the
beginning, it acts on everything following until it hits a /A.

--
Steve Gray

use copy /? to find the syntax for the copy command.

Old July 23rd 03, 11:58 AM
Eclipsme

"boka_do" wrote in message
.. .

"Steven Gray" wrote in message
"Eclipsme" wrote in
:

I don't remember an /s switch. How about
COPY /B FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPG FINAL.MPG ? Don't forget

the
spaces on either side of the + signs.

Sorry, the correct switch is /B for Binary.

COPY FILE1.MPG + FILE2.MPG + FILE3.MPG FINAL.MPG /B

I could be wrong, but I think you need to put the /B where I put it. At
the end, it acts only on the file immediately preceding it. At the
beginning, it acts on everything following until it hits a /A.

--
Steve Gray

use copy /? to find the syntax for the copy command.

This is still unclear, but it appears that Steve may be right, or perhaps it
works either way. The /B switch is available before and after every file to
concatenate. I guess the answer is to just try it and see,

Sorry if I mislead anybody. It has been a while since this knowledge has
been of use.

Harvey