Paid Advertising at it's worst

Old December 8th 04, 12:53 PM
RichA

Default Paid Advertising at it's worst

You'd think if they were going to lie about
using the TV they'd at least mount it properly.
http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=248
Old December 8th 04, 02:43 PM
Dawn Baird-Chleborad

If you look to the bottom right you will see a note (in a little box with a
smiley face) about the mounting and that it was the photographer who chose
to mount it that way to better show off the product. The photographer
deserves a lump of coal in his/her stocking.

Dawn Baird-Chleborad
www.astronerds.com

"Jon Isaacs" wrote in message

You'd think if they were going to lie about
using the TV they'd at least mount it properly.
http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=248

Maybe they mounted it that way because in the proper configuration the

mount
prevents them from looking below the horizontal enough to see in other

people's
windows.....

jon

Old December 8th 04, 03:25 PM
Stephen Paul

"RichA" wrote in message
You'd think if they were going to lie about
using the TV they'd at least mount it properly.
http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=248

A quick story:

I was in an astro shop looking at scopes and there was a TeleVue
something-or-other (Pronto maybe) on one of those mounts (I was a super
newbie at the time). I was toying with it, and loosened the altitude clutch.
The eyepiece end swung down and slammed the tripod.

There were jeers from the clerks, and nobody was happy, but later (much
later) I realized that it was really the fault of the clerks for improperly
setting the thing up. At the time, I didn't know that, and felt like a
complete idiot (as opposed to my normally feeling only like a partial
idiot).

Three friends having a conversation about nothing in particular when
suddenly friend 1 says, "You guys don't like me anymore." To which friend 2
responds, "We've _never_ liked you...., man, are you stupid." :-)

(Could be that you had to be there, but it was funny as hell. Nobody was
offended of course, we are all friends.)

-Stephen

Old December 8th 04, 03:50 PM
Brian Tung

Dawn Baird-Chleborad wrote:
If you look to the bottom right you will see a note (in a little box with a
smiley face) about the mounting and that it was the photographer who chose
to mount it that way to better show off the product. The photographer
deserves a lump of coal in his/her stocking.

I think ol' Al is being very generous to the photographer in his
explanation.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old December 8th 04, 08:58 PM
Brian Tung

John Steinberg wrote:
From a purely aesthetic perspective, the photographer made the right
choice, even if it ruffles the feathers of the cognoscenti.

You really think so? I don't think it makes a bit of difference from
an aesthetic perspective. It only "offends" me from the correctness
point of view.

Old December 8th 04, 09:21 PM
RichA

On 08 Dec 2004 13:30:36 GMT, (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

You'd think if they were going to lie about
using the TV they'd at least mount it properly.
http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=248

Maybe they mounted it that way because in the proper configuration the mount
prevents them from looking below the horizontal enough to see in other people's
windows.....

jon

Just for the Hell of it, I sent a note to the mag, just to
see if they'd respond. They did. So the owners of the
$3000 scope DID set it up and use it that way. Somehow,
this strikes me as very unlikely.
Oh Al! New objective for a TV-85 needed on aisle 6!!!!
-Rich

Thank you for your email. The telescope was not set up by our
editorial staff, but by the owners. We simply took the picture.
Sincerely,
Alice Siempelkamp
Managing Editor
Old December 8th 04, 11:14 PM
Pierre Vandevenne

John Steinberg wrote in news:081220041443088465%
lid:

Brian Tung wrote:

I think ol' Al is being very generous to the photographer in his
explanation.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, the photographer made the right
choice, even if it ruffles the feathers of the cognoscenti.

Unsurprising behaviour from *brass* telescope users.

--
Pierre Vandevenne - DataRescue sa/nv -
www.datarescue.com