TV-102 & 8-inch Discovery PDHQ on Mars

Old July 27th 03, 06:31 AM
Ron B[ee]

Default TV-102 & 8-inch Discovery PDHQ on Mars

http://members.cox.net/ronby/Solar-S...TV102-PDHQ.htm

Ron B[ee]

Old July 27th 03, 10:18 AM
Jose Suro

Great report as always. The sketches are great too!

Take Care,

JAS

Old July 27th 03, 10:49 AM
Richard Darn

Nice sketches Ron. What latitude are you observing from?

Rich

Old July 27th 03, 07:18 PM
Mick

"Ron B[ee]" wrote in message
http://members.cox.net/ronby/Solar-S...TV102-PDHQ.htm

Ron B[ee]

Excellent report!...are those pictures the actual size? Please indicate the
exaggeration..

Old July 28th 03, 12:51 AM
Ron B[ee]

Thanks Phil, Jose and Rich for you guys compliment; I really
appreciate it. I observed from latitude 32d N. Though The Sky tells
me Mars is 44d above horizon, it seems a bit higher than that, more
like 50d ;-).

Ron B[ee]
---------------

Old July 28th 03, 01:03 AM
Ron B[ee]

Thanks for your kind words, Mick.

That is a very good question. To answer your question on the size,
try reducing the image by 50% (I'm using a 15" LCD monitor) and
that should be about the size through the eyepiece.

I'm following the standard set up ALPO, using 42mm circle. When I
first took up sketching this year, I found it difficult to sketch Jupiter
and
Saturn because the view through the eyepiece was much smaller (the
sketches in the report were already been reduced some). I actually
thought the 42mm circle was silly! But the more I sketched, the
more I realize the reasons. If the circle is too small, it became difficult
or impossible to sketch the small details. I know this sounds counter
intuitive, but this is what I've learned. So I tried to sketch as close to
what I see as possible, no exaggeration. Because of this, I'm really
not able to record what I see "photographic like"! Perhaps, someday
when my skill reaches 1/2 that of Eric Jamison, Carlos Hernandez, Jeff
Beish, Bob Bunge, Sol Robbins and others highly skilled sketchers
(sorry if I forgot anyone), my sketches might be closer to those CCD
images. For now, I also find that depicting a feature to scale or to the
precise size quite difficult. I'm also having a hard time showing the
difference in tone (something like the Ansel Adam's zone system
for b/w photography.) Bottomline, not only is my Light Cup and I
planetary newbie, but we're newbie sketcher as well :-(. Thus, it
is always my hope that the reader would give us some suggestion
how to improve on the sketches ;-).

Ron B[ee]