Deep Impact. Where are the pics of the POST-impact site?

Old July 4th 05, 03:07 PM
J.Warren

Default Deep Impact. Where are the pics of the POST-impact site?

Hello everyone, I've checked every news story I could find, but not a single
one mentioned images of the impact site AFTER the impact to see the crater
formed or damage done to the surface. Are there going to be images of the
impact site post-impact?

Old July 4th 05, 03:14 PM
Bob Schmall

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/de...=y&auid=975969

Old July 4th 05, 04:21 PM
Roger Hamlett

"J.Warren" wrote in message
Hello everyone, I've checked every news story I could find, but not a
single one mentioned images of the impact site AFTER the impact to see
the crater formed or damage done to the surface. Are there going to be
images of the impact site post-impact?

Post impact, yes, but not much.
The key is that the main craft is still travelling at a huge velocity
relative to the comet. It can't 'stop', and come back for a look. It's job
was to image the actual flash, so that spectroscopic analysis can reveal
what the comet is made of, and to do it from far enough away, that it
wouldn't get hit by any debris. A few moments after the impact the main
craft passes the comet, and the impact site is lost from view.

Best Wishes