CFI: Canonical List of Sci-Fi "Real" Astronauts

Old December 20th 04, 03:59 AM
Seagull

Default CFI: Canonical List of Sci-Fi "Real" Astronauts

"Joseph T Major" wrote in message
The Quicksilver project was sending men round the moon by 1964! Try
and play that in Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space!

That version does not cheat as much as the "robot player" in Liftoff!

Sorry this is so late,
and mildly on topic, I have a slight memory of a saturday cartoon
(1960's?) that was a little bit like a Steve Canyon in space. The hero
had an eye patch and an over weight side kick.
The one episode I think I remember involved the love interest,
daughter of the local space force commander, lands a research rocket
on a heavy gravity planet and then something, (fuel leak), strands
them. They drop fuel and oxygen with parachutes, some explode. The
hero lands a small ship with the power to take off again but to small
to rescue the science crew. The side kick wearing a powered suit
connects the tanks. The research ship takes off and the hero and side
kick follow to the space station, where the side kick is stuck in the
small ship because of the powered suit. Or so I recall. Sound familiar
to any one?

Jonathan
seagull

Old December 20th 04, 05:42 AM
RHaleyPuy

I believe you are referring to Space Angel, an animated series distributed in
syndication from 1962-64. Space Angel was the code name of the eye patch
wearing hero, Scott McCloud. He and his crew patrolled the solarsystem in their
spaceship Starduster. The crew of 3 were Taurus, an Irish accented pilot and
engineer; Crystal Mace,the scientist/navigator; and Crystal's father Proffesor
Mace,the head of the star base.

The studiowas the sameone that produced Clutch Cargo, and both used the
"syncro-vox" technique which superimposed live action moving lips over animated
faces. A clip from Clutch Cargo can be seen in the movie Pulp Fiction.
Old December 20th 04, 07:18 AM
OM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:59:17 -0600, Seagull
wrote:

Sorry this is so late,
and mildly on topic, I have a slight memory of a saturday cartoon
(1960's?) that was a little bit like a Steve Canyon in space. The hero
had an eye patch and an over weight side kick.

"Space Angel"

http://www.toontracker.com/spaceangel/spaceang.htm

http://members.aol.com/paulec1/images/space26.jpg

http://www.comicartville.com/spaceangel.gif

....Space Angel was the second show produced by Cambria Studios, who'd
found a still-surprising hit with "Clutch Cargo". Airing in
syndication from 1962 thru 1964 or 65, depending on your source, the
show consisted of a series of ~4 minute shorts, and was filmed in
"Syncro-Vox". one of the cheapest animation techniques in cartoon
history, which superimposed live action moving lips over still
drawings of character's faces. The art & character designs, however,
were of a far better quality than one would have expected from such a
gimmick, as they sprung from the work of the legendary Alex Toth.
Toth, however, at a convention in the mid-80's, admitted that some of
the inspiration for the look of "Space Angel" came from Milt Caniff's
_Steve Canyon_, while "Clutch Cargo" owed quite a bit of its roots to
_Terry and the Pirates_ as well. And when you get down to it, it sort
of shows.

....The eyepatched hero of the show was Scott McCloud, McCloud was
captain of the spaceship "Starduster", and was voiced by Ned Lefebver.
who also did the voice of the "Evening Star" base commander. Professor
Mace. .The Starduster had two additional crewmembers besides the
captain. One was the "overweight sidekick", Taurus, who was voiced by
Hal Smith - considering Smith was "Otis" on the "Andy Griffith Show",
this was a classic case of typecasting. Taurus was also an engineer
with a rather broguish accent, which preceeded another famous engineer
by a few years.

....The other crewmember was Crystal Macel, who besides being McCloud's
love interest was also the ship's electronics expert, science officer,
navigator, and quite probably the one who did the cooking, cleaning
and clotheswashing as well. Crystal was voiced by Margaret Kerry,
whose other credits included the voices of Spinner and Paddlefoot for
"Clutch Cargo".

....Note that I can't recall having seen a single episode of "Space
Angel" since we lived in Houstpolois in the mid-60's. IIRC, it aired
on some kiddie show, and it wasn't "Kitarik". It might have been
"Cadet Don", but it's been so ****ing long I really can't be sure. I
can remember when "Rudolph the Ostracized Mutant Reindeer" and "A
Charlie Brown Chrisnukkah" premiered, but I honestly can't remember
much about the kids shows other than the fact that we moved to Austin
two months before I was supposed to be on "Kitarik". Wah.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 20th 04, 09:46 AM
Pat Flannery

RHaleyPuy wrote:

The studiowas the sameone that produced Clutch Cargo, and both used the
"syncro-vox" technique which superimposed live action moving lips over animated
faces. A clip from Clutch Cargo can be seen in the movie Pulp Fiction.

Yes, I noticed that oddity with the Eskimo on the television in the
movie...around here (North Dakota) the show was presented by Cass-Clay
milk IIRC...Jonny Quest this wasn't (even though Race Bannon looked like
a Clutch Cargo rip-off), but the lip stuff was truly bizarre. I am still
torqued off by the series of episodes that had them hunting for giant
birds, based on huge footprints they have found. After a interminable
number of 5 minute episodes spread over a few weeks, the creatures were
revealed to be flightless birds with giant feet! This was completely
limp, and I'm sure that all the kids watching the show and drinking
their Cass-Clay milk were ready to cut the lips off the animators at
that point.

Pat

Old December 20th 04, 08:05 PM
Derek Lyons

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

One was the "overweight sidekick", Taurus, who was voiced by
Hal Smith - considering Smith was "Otis" on the "Andy Griffith Show",
this was a classic case of typecasting. Taurus was also an engineer
with a rather broguish accent, which preceeded another famous engineer
by a few years.

Broguish engineers are a stereotype that goes back to the late
19th/early 20th centuries.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old December 20th 04, 08:17 PM
James Nicoll

wrote:

One was the "overweight sidekick", Taurus, who was voiced by
Hal Smith - considering Smith was "Otis" on the "Andy Griffith Show",
this was a classic case of typecasting. Taurus was also an engineer
with a rather broguish accent, which preceeded another famous engineer
by a few years.

Broguish engineers are a stereotype that goes back to the late
19th/early 20th centuries.

My grandfather was seen as Scottish by some who knew him (1),
he was an engineer, he worked on ships and his given name was Scott or
Scottie to his friends. He was born about the turn of the century.

James Nicoll

1: Although he was a US citizen raised on Maui, there's at least one
reference in song to him having a thick accent. Personally, I thought
he sounded like an American.

--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.marryanamerican.ca
Old December 20th 04, 10:32 PM
Henry Spencer

Derek Lyons wrote:
this was a classic case of typecasting. Taurus was also an engineer
with a rather broguish accent, which preceeded another famous engineer
by a few years.

Broguish engineers are a stereotype that goes back to the late
19th/early 20th centuries.

Farther. That may be when *ship's* engineers started being stereotyped
that way -- with the rise of steamships to dominance -- but the Scots were
already long established as the engineers and managers of the British
empire, due to a good educational system, a culture that respected such
occupations, and few good jobs at home.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old December 21st 04, 12:28 AM
Seagull

:

My Thanks to everyone who knew what I was talking about.
I don't recall the syncro-vox in what little I remember of the show,
but for some very strange reason, (maybe I should talk to "someone"),
that clip of Clutch Cargo in "Plup Fiction" was one of two things that
really bothered me in that film, I just don't know why.
Jonathan
seagull

Old December 21st 04, 10:04 AM
Pat Flannery

Seagull wrote:

that clip of Clutch Cargo in "Plup Fiction" was one of two things that
really bothered me in that film, I just don't know why.

It was very spooky seeing that little oddity from my youth reappear in
that film also, kind of like some repressed memory being dug out via
hypnosis.

Pat

Old December 22nd 04, 03:03 AM
OM

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:04:09 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

It was very spooky seeing that little oddity from my youth reappear in
that film also, kind of like some repressed memory being dug out via
hypnosis.

....Speaking of repressed memories, I'm watching a bootleg of the late,
great Red Skelton's Xmas skits, and I got reminded of one of Red's
last shows in 1970 or thereabouts. Playing his "Pop the Janitor"
character, he'd managed to bungle his way onto a moon landing, and
wound up having to be Peter Graves' LMP. In true NASA tradition as
only some moron like Wiesner would have concocted, the EVA could only
last 10 minutes - the time before the next commercial break, natch -
before it would automatically lift off. Needless to say, Pop didn't
make it back on board, and being the precocious Astrobuff that I was,
as absurd as the mission plan was, I was still somewhat upset about
Pop getting left behind with his air running out.

Red's probably doing the Freddy the Freeloader bit up in Heaven these
days - the concept of a hobo mooching off of God/Yahweh/Roddenberry
still puts me in stitches! - but he's still missed down here. Pop goes
on the list if I have anything to say about it, which I do...

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr