...Hurricane Dean... Third Strongest Ever Recorded...

Old August 23rd 07, 12:47 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
Jonathan

Default ...Hurricane Dean... Third Strongest Ever Recorded...

....for an Atlantic landfalling hurricane.

And btw, coming a good month earlier than most of the competition.

"Hurricane Dean made its first landfall around 3:30 am (Central Time)
Tuesday with 165 mile per hour winds near Costa Maya, Mexico.
It is the first landfalling category 5 hurricane in the Atlantic basin
since Hurricane Andrew struck South Florida in 1992.
Its pressure of 906 millibars is the third lowest pressure at landfall
behind the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane in the Florida Keys and
Hurricane Gilbert in 1988 in Cancun, Mexico."
http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tr...=wxcenter_news

Just another global warming 'anecdote' that seems to happen
all too regularly these days.

Strongest Atlantic Hurricanes on Record

Wilma 882 mb Oct, 2005

Gilbert 888mb Sep, 1988

Florida Keys 892 mb Sep,1935

Allen 899 mb Oct, 1998

Mitch 905mb Oct, 1969

Camille 909 mb Aug, 1969
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/reports/mitch/mitch.html

Old August 23rd 07, 01:01 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
Harley

Just another global warming 'anecdote' that seems to happen
all too regularly these days.

A 15 year spead, and that's all too regular?

Harley

Old August 23rd 07, 01:27 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
Jonathan

"Harley" wrote in message
. com...

Just another global warming 'anecdote' that seems to happen
all too regularly these days.

A 15 year spead, and that's all too regular?

In the last three years, we've seen the Atlantic hurricane
season break all time records for number of storms, the
lowest pressure ever, the smallest eye ever (2 miles!!!), and
the most destructive ever.

Most of the biggest records have all fallen in the last three years.
And the very first hurricane of this season is right up there
with the strongest of all time. It's average size mercilessly
helped spare a large population center.

Hurricane Dean had hurricane force winds out to about
60 miles most of the time. While Katrina and Wilma
in 2005 extended out about 100 miles. Making them
much more likely to hit a large population area.

Harley

Old August 23rd 07, 01:29 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:27:02 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

"Harley" wrote in message
.com...

Just another global warming 'anecdote' that seems to happen
all too regularly these days.

A 15 year spead, and that's all too regular?

In the last three years, we've seen the Atlantic hurricane
season break all time records for number of storms, the
lowest pressure ever, the smallest eye ever (2 miles!!!), and
the most destructive ever.

You have very limited experience, Grasshopper.
Old August 23rd 07, 01:30 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
Tudor Hughes

Hurricane Gilbert in 1988 in Cancun, Mexico."http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/?from=wxcenter_news

Just another global warming 'anecdote' that seems to happen
all too regularly these days.

Strongest Atlantic Hurricanes on Record

Wilma 882 mb Oct, 2005

Gilbert 888mb Sep, 1988

Florida Keys 892 mb Sep,1935

Allen 899 mb Oct, 1998

Mitch 905mb Oct, 1969

Camille 909 mb Aug, 1969

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/reports/mitch/mitch.html

I don't see how one could deduce Global Warming, or any
other type of climate change, from those data. The minimum pressure,
if accurately known, would be a better measure than pressure at
landfall which is somewhat arbitrary. It also assumes a
straightforward relationship between the numbers of hurricanes and
their intensity and sea and air temperatures whereas there are other
very important factors to be considered.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham, Surrey.

Old August 23rd 07, 01:34 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:30:34 -0700, in a place far, far away, Tudor
Hughes made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

[...]

It requires one to be an illogical loon, like Jonathan.
Old August 23rd 07, 01:44 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
spammer

It rained a little where I live yesterday. Must be global warming.

Old August 23rd 07, 01:48 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
Jonathan

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:27:02 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

"Harley" wrote in message
.com...

Just another global warming 'anecdote' that seems to happen
all too regularly these days.

A 15 year spead, and that's all too regular?

In the last three years, we've seen the Atlantic hurricane
season break all time records for number of storms, the
lowest pressure ever, the smallest eye ever (2 miles!!!), and
the most destructive ever.

You have very limited experience, Grasshopper.

On the contrary. My workplace was destroyed by
Andrew. The eye of Katrina went right over my house
and I got some of the strongest winds of Wilma.
Those three are among the top of most of the extreme
lists. I've had to drive home from work in a category one.
And have lost count of the near-misses I've
watched spin by. The dade/broward county line
is best place on earth to experience hurricanes.
It's why the NHC is here, they picked the very
center of the historical paths.

Old August 23rd 07, 01:54 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
spammer

On Aug 22, 8:48 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
" On the contrary. My workplace was destroyed by
Andrew. The eye of Katrina went right over my house
and I got some of the strongest winds of Wilma.
Those three are among the top of most of the extreme
lists. I've had to drive home from work in a category one.
And have lost count of the near-misses I've
watched spin by. The dade/broward county line
is best place on earth to experience hurricanes.
It's why the NHC is here, they picked the very
center of the historical paths.-

One would think you would get "out of the bullseye". Even animals
know when to move. Oh, I guess you want the government to do something
so you don't have to.

Old August 23rd 07, 01:58 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,alt.global-warming,alt.politics,uk.sci.weather
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:48:56 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:27:02 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

"Harley" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

In other words, in geological terms, you have very limited experience.

Are you an idiot?