"When We Left Earth" on the Discovery Channel

Old June 10th 08, 08:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jud McCranie[_2_]

Default "When We Left Earth" on the Discovery Channel

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:33:47 -0500, "Ralph"
wrote:

Doesn't the ad promoting the DVD box set state that there is up to four
hours additional footage available on the DVD?

Yes, it does say that. The website says that there is an additional
hour per DVD, and also four DVDs, instead of the three you would
expect.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old June 10th 08, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jud McCranie[_2_]

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:36:12 -0700 (PDT), M
wrote:

Just another error in the documentary that only a space history buff
could point out...

There is a lot of that (as usual), but Gene Krantz talks about seeing
the rescue of Grisson, the helicopter, Gus in the water, "Get Gus!".
But I'm just about certain that there was no live TV coverage of the
event.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old June 10th 08, 08:59 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:44:42 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

Yes, it does say that. The website says that there is an additional
hour per DVD, and also four DVDs, instead of the three you would
expect.

"...And if you order in the next ten minutes, you'll get this set of
six Ginsu Mercury Survival Knives, at no extra cost!"

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old June 16th 08, 06:58 AM posted to sci.space.history

Tonight's episode covered all of the moon landing missions. Curiously,
they left out any references to Apollo 15. They jumped form Apollo 14
to Apollo 16. No mention of the trek to Cone Crater on 14, just the
golf shot.
Old June 16th 08, 11:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:58:10 -0700 (PDT), M
wrote:

Tonight's episode covered all of the moon landing missions. Curiously,
they left out any references to Apollo 15.

Yeah, all that build up about the Rover, and then... poof! straight to
16. Probably because Irwin is deceased and I don't recall Dave Scott
being among the interviewees.

Brian
Old June 17th 08, 02:13 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"M" wrote in message
Tonight's episode covered all of the moon landing missions. Curiously,
they left out any references to Apollo 15. They jumped form Apollo 14
to Apollo 16. No mention of the trek to Cone Crater on 14, just the
golf shot.

Yeah, I noticed that. And they made it sound like Apollo 16 was the first
one with a rover.

They also repeated the mistake of saying that Apollo 20 was cut due to
budget cuts. While in some ways true, at the point they're referring to,
Apollo 20 had already been cut for Skylab. (And since the next round of 15
Saturn Vs had never really been that close to happening, I think it's
accurate in saying really only Apollo 18,19 (or if you want, the original
15,19) were cut.

There was a comment also that it would only have been the marginal cost of
flying them that was saved. Obviously with no hardware at that point for
Apollo 20, that wasn't strictly true. ;-)

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old June 22nd 08, 07:07 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Jun 10, 3:58 pm, Kevin Willoughby
wrote:
In article
tatelephone,
says...

The film footage is excellent... but whoever edited that footage should
be hung by the neck until dead, as it's a cocked-up disaster area as far
as being correct in either chronology or use of appropriate footage for
the appropriate spaceflight.

Alas, that's standard practice for documentaries. Even otherwise quite
good ones like In the Shadow of the Moon chop up chronology wildly, at
one point suggesting that Gene Cernan wanted to grab the control stick
and manually fly the Apollo 11 S-V.
--
Kevin Willoughby

Kansas City, this was Air Force One. Will you change
our call sign to SAM 27000? -- Col. Ralph Albertazzie

As with any history topic, the flow of time makes it harder and harder
to be accurate. It is best to research contemporary documents of the
time, not to read poorly researched and written accounts afterwards.
Serious American Civil War buffs tend to read contemporary histories
of the war, not ones written in modern times.
People today tend to research by watching TV or DVDs, or reading
online on the internet. They "reserach" by going to web sites that do
not include references.

As time goes by, any documentaries made of the golden age of manned
space exploration will get more inaccurate. It is inevitable.
So the old space buffs can entertain themselves by picking the
documentaries to pieces, finding all fo the errors and omissions.

Old June 22nd 08, 08:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

Going to/from the moon’s L1 was technically doable for a brave enough
crew of three. Accomplishing everything else via remote/robotic
science was also technically doable, except for those fly-by-rocket
controlled soft landings.

JAXA | SELenological and ENgineering Explorer "KAGUYA" (SELENE)
May 20th image release:
The "halo" area around Apollo 15 landing site observed by Terrain
Camera on SELENE(KAGUYA)
http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2008/05/20080520_kaguya_e.html
http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2008/05/img...kaguya_01l.jpg

First of all, this absolutely pathetic monochrome image that proves
nothing on behalf of any such NASA/Apollo soft landing site, as such
simply isn’t from the best archive of their 10 meter resolution
TC(terrain camera). It looks more like a 100 meter intentionally made
fuzzy/dumb image resolution, of relatively **** poor DR(dynamic range)
to boot.

Apparently JAXA is still being extensively used by our DARPA / NASA as
so much ongoing Apollo damage-control toilet paper. Perhaps the China
mission that at any time can go in for their one meter/pixel
resolution kill, so to speak, can help once and for all to resolve
such matters.

- Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth

On Jun 8, 10:57 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
The film footage is excellent... but whoever edited that footage should
be hung by the neck until dead, as it's a cocked-up disaster area as far
as being correct in either chronology or use of appropriate footage for
the appropriate spaceflight.
Old stock rocket footage is mixed in with the new footage in a horrible
manner, so that Glenn's Atlas launch suddenly transmutes into a ascent
film of a Aerobee launch showing the view downwards, and there are other
screw-ups too numerous to mention (bet you didn't know that a Saturn 1
took off before Shepard's flight).
Sooner or later would the producers of one of these things actually hire
someone who knows about the time-frame that these rockets and missions
flew in, and give them a whip to keep the film editors in line with?
And Shepard did indeed have a window on his Mercury; it was a porthole
that didn't let him look forward, but there was indeed a window in it,
unlike what John Glenn says about him basically flying blind.
Very disappointing indeed.
This could have been something really great, and instead it's the
same-ol' - same ol' half-baked space documentary.
NASA was very badly served by this first installment in the Discovery
Channel's series on its 50th anniversary.
Well, at least there are the Apogee Films DVDs to fall back on.

Pat