"Stumpy" lives - much to the chagrin of the trolling trash...

Old April 22nd 08, 02:37 AM posted to sci.space.history
Doc Smartass

Default "Stumpy" lives - much to the chagrin of the trolling trash...

OM wrote in
:

...Just a quick update on my status for those concerned. I'm at home,
and I'll be honest, kids - it's been pretty rough getting adjusted to
one leg here at OMWorld Central.

Welcome back!

--
Doc Smartass
Old April 22nd 08, 03:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 00:05:13 -0500, OM
wrote:

...In any case, we've got everything worked out now, and the only
thing I have to worry about is the fact that the combination of
Vicodin and Soma I'm on has me rather weakened.

Sweetie, don't get too fond of Soma. They don't warn you about it but
it can be addictive. I worked with someone who picked up a Soma and
Tylenol with codeine jones from a bad back. He was doing all the
doctor shopping stuff and taking far beyond the normal doses before he
finally decided he needed help to quit. This was just a nice, normal
middle-class guy who accidentally acquired an Rx jones that really
messed him up for a while.

Even if you're floating on drugs, I'm really glad to see you back
here. I'm sorry you had to have the surgery, and I hope you'll heal
quickly and easily.

Mary "Really missed you"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
Old April 22nd 08, 06:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:02:07 -0700 (PDT), Bash
wrote:

Stumpy is perhaps not the best name but I recognize the sardonic humor
behind it.:-) Maybe the regulars should nominate a new one for OM.

....So far, the e-mail suggestions have been:

* OMnipod
* Gimpy
* The $12k Man
* The guy whose leg is stuck up Brad Guth's ass
* StOMpy

....Any others?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old April 22nd 08, 06:09 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:19:30 -0700, "Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary
Shafer)" wrote:

....And once again, thanks for everyone's well-wishes through this
debacle. It's meant a lot to me, and helped keep my spirits up more
than the morphine did!

Sweetie, don't get too fond of Soma. They don't warn you about it but
it can be addictive. I worked with someone who picked up a Soma and
Tylenol with codeine jones from a bad back.

....Here's what I've found about drugs like Soma and Vicodin: if you're
really experiencing pain out the ass, then the body for some reason
refuses to get addicted. It's only when you take them after the pain
starts to subside that you get the addiction problem, as the pain
tends to negate the body's mechanisms that tell you "hey dude...this
is actually *fun* to take when you're -not- hurting!" This is why I
started weening myself from that on-demand morphine drip about two
days before they cut me back from 1 unit/6 minutes to 1 every 15; in
fact, I went for about 11 hours without a shot, which freaked the hell
out of the floor nurse who couldn't figure out why I hadn't shown any
use after they'd just refilled the dispenser!

....Trust me on this one, kids - I've got any addiction issues under
control. The only problem is that the bruising that occurred when I
whacked the stump on Saturday precludes me *not* taking about 2-3 of
the Vicodins along with the Soma. I did check with the sawbones, and
she said that as long as I'm watching for *any* of the various warning
signs - which I am - then I should be okay, and if anything pops up to
go straight to the ER. Call an ambulance if necessary, and she'd meet
me there. I'm watching this one closely, as I don't need any
complications. If all goes well, within 60 days I'll have a new leg to
stick on the end.

Then I'll add the flashing LED kits and really frack with everyone's
minds!

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old April 22nd 08, 06:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:

What about his back? I thought his leg (or lack thereof) was the problem!
Geez, Pat!!

It's that salamander DNA that Mook gave him! He's got a fin like a newt
on his back now! :-)

Pat
Old April 22nd 08, 06:32 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Pat Flannery writes:

Alan Erskine wrote:

What about his back? I thought his leg (or lack thereof) was the problem!
Geez, Pat!!

It's that salamander DNA that Mook gave him! He's got a fin like a newt
on his back now! :-)

I remember that episode of Voyager.

--
Joseph Nebus
Old April 22nd 08, 06:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:

A 10 G re-entry after six months in orbit has to be a p.i.t.a.

Yes, the G's might squeeze them out like flatbread. :-)

At least the
Soyuz didn't kill them, but still, not the preferred way to end a mission.

James Oberg has article out on it now: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24243569/
He doesn't mention the fact that there is supposed to be only one more
flight with the old computer system though.

Pat
Old April 22nd 08, 07:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote:

Stumpy is perhaps not the best name but I recognize the sardonic humor
behind it.:-) Maybe the regulars should nominate a new one for OM.

...So far, the e-mail suggestions have been:

* OMnipod
* Gimpy
* The $12k Man
* The guy whose leg is stuck up Brad Guth's ass
* StOMpy

...Any others?

OL - One Leg

Hopalong (don't know if it's copyright protected - some guy named Cassidy
comes to mind...).

Old April 22nd 08, 08:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
...So far, the e-mail suggestions have been:

* OMnipod
* Gimpy
* The $12k Man
* The guy whose leg is stuck up Brad Guth's ass
* StOMpy

Ahab, The Slayer Man?

Pat
Old April 22nd 08, 08:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Trust me on this one, kids - I've got any addiction issues under
control.

I'll trust that when I see your essay on "The Natural Aristocracy Of The
Anglo-Saxon Race Over The Mongrel Peoples Of The World" ....and there
had better not be any transposition of "R"s and "L"s in that treatise,
lest the soul-enslaving powers of Fu's fiendish poppy derivatives are
revealed.

Nayland
Scotland Yard