Well, that was interesting..

Old August 9th 07, 06:10 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
DougD

Default Well, that was interesting..

Was just out watching the space station go over, and over in the ssw was
Jupiter. Not much new there, but as I was looking around with the cheapo
binocs, about 10 deg. below Jupiter was something akin to what some folks
would describe as a "disco ball".. It was multi-colored, mostly red's, whites,
and a bit of green. At first I thought it was just navigation lights, but
after watching it for about 10 minutes and it didn't move like an airplane or
satellite, I was a bit dumbfounded. Just took a look in Starry Night, and it
would appear to be "Antares". Does this description sound familiar to anyone,
or was I looking at something much different? It was very visible just to the
eye, and fairly spectacular through goggles, can't say I've ever seen a star
so multi-colored or shimmering as that! This was at about 9:50pm off the
coast of Van. Island.

d.
Old August 10th 07, 05:25 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Skywise

(DougD) wrote in :

[...]

Low altitude star twinkling. When so low to the horizon, the atmosphere
acts like a prism, splitting the stars colors. The usual twinkling
caused by atmospheric turbulence combines with this prism effect to
make the star change colors quite rapidly.

You are the second person I've run across to have observed the
same star doing the same thing and thinking it was a satellite.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old August 11th 07, 02:26 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
DougD

In article , Skywise wrote:

Low altitude star twinkling. When so low to the horizon, the atmosphere
acts like a prism, splitting the stars colors. The usual twinkling
caused by atmospheric turbulence combines with this prism effect to
make the star change colors quite rapidly.

You are the second person I've run across to have observed the
same star doing the same thing and thinking it was a satellite.

Brian

Well, according to Starry Night, Antares is a "multiple star", which may
account for the appearance, maybe due to interference of light from mulitple
sources, etc. It's going to be clear out tonight and it should be visible, as
should STS 118 and ISS, which are about a minute apart in orbit. Lot's o'
fun stuff to be looking at, just wish I had a proper 'scope!, er.. Actually,
just a good motorized platform for all of the optical gizmo's I do have..

d.
Old September 11th 08, 10:30 PM
lwb7221d lwb7221d is offline
Banned

Unhappy wow

wow,nice yeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------our wow power leveling site:cheap wow power leveling.buy wow power leveling.wow power leveling.cheap wow power leveling.wow power leveling

Now this is interesting Joe S. Amateur Astronomy 8 March 11th 06 05:00 PM
Interesting Bachdang Valle CCD Imaging 0 August 23rd 04 02:01 PM
Interesting Tim K. Space Shuttle 1 August 21st 04 09:56 PM
Anything interesting... Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 10 July 20th 04 07:22 PM
This is interesting... Christopher M. Jones Policy 9 February 6th 04 10:59 AM