The Hubble Space Telescope...

Old November 30th 03, 11:56 AM
Pat Flannery

Default The Hubble Space Telescope...

A Hubble Hubble wrote:

Current plan is to launch the prop module on an ELV when HST is no
longer able to produce science.

We should talk to the Russians; a modified Progress could do this job at
fairly low cost.

Pat

Old December 4th 03, 01:31 PM
A Hubble Hubble

Pat Flannery wrote:

A Hubble Hubble wrote:

Current plan is to launch the prop module on an ELV when HST is no
longer able to produce science.

We should talk to the Russians; a modified Progress could do this job at
fairly low cost.

Pat

It's my understanding that the approach rate of the Progress is too
fast. HST is "delicate" and needs something better than Progress.
Old December 5th 03, 01:20 AM
Brian Thorn

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:31:53 GMT, A Hubble Hubble
wrote:

Current plan is to launch the prop module on an ELV when HST is no
longer able to produce science.

We should talk to the Russians; a modified Progress could do this job at
fairly low cost.

Pat

It's my understanding that the approach rate of the Progress is too
fast. HST is "delicate" and needs something better than Progress.

And Progress can't reach Hubble's altitude.

Brian
Old December 5th 03, 02:58 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

A Hubble Hubble wrote:

Current plan is to launch the prop module on an ELV when HST is no
longer able to produce science.

We should talk to the Russians; a modified Progress could do this job at
fairly low cost.

Not really. Progress requires a passive docking adapter and passive Kurs
navaids on the target vehicle. HST has no docking adapter and no navaids.
And as Hubble Hugger pointed out, Progress' terminal approach rate is too
fast for a delicate target like HST.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old December 6th 03, 05:41 PM
Jorge R. Frank

Brian Thorn wrote in
:

wrote:

Current plan is to launch the prop module on an ELV when HST is no
longer able to produce science.

We should talk to the Russians; a modified Progress could do this
job at fairly low cost.

Pat

It's my understanding that the approach rate of the Progress is too
fast. HST is "delicate" and needs something better than Progress.

And Progress can't reach Hubble's altitude.

Or inclination, at least until the pad in Kourou is operational.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.