Cheap Crewed Mars Mission

Old August 10th 03, 05:55 AM
Mike Rhino

Default Cheap Crewed Mars Mission

"Blurrt" wrote in message
u...
Any Ideas on how we could perform a Crewed Mars Mission on the cheap - ie:
less than $1 Billion dollars?

I would suggest using multiple small rockets and a two person crew.

You would have to hire a bunch of Chinese and Russian engineers for $1 an
hour. You would probably have to design a new rocket. I don't think you
could just glue a bunch of rockets together. It might be possible to
assemble the ship in low Earth orbit. A one way mission would be cheaper.
Even with all this, I don't think that you could get the costs down to $1
billion.

Surface
systems could be sent ahead using ion propulsion.

I would use the same type of ship for both supplies and humans. The supply
mission would be a test flight.

The small rockets would lower costs as they are already available (ie: no
development costs).

There is no way to get around development costs, because it is too different
from what we've been doing.

Old August 10th 03, 11:00 AM
Blurrt

One way.

The only way.

Blurrt

"Mike Rhino" wrote in message
.. .
"Blurrt" wrote in message
u...
Any Ideas on how we could perform a Crewed Mars Mission on the cheap -

ie:
less than $1 Billion dollars?

I would suggest using multiple small rockets and a two person crew.

You would have to hire a bunch of Chinese and Russian engineers for $1 an
hour. You would probably have to design a new rocket. I don't think you
could just glue a bunch of rockets together. It might be possible to
assemble the ship in low Earth orbit. A one way mission would be cheaper.
Even with all this, I don't think that you could get the costs down to $1
billion.

There have been a few designs for sub billion dollar Lunar Missions. Why
can't we do the same for Mars?

Surface
systems could be sent ahead using ion propulsion.

I would use the same type of ship for both supplies and humans. The

supply
mission would be a test flight.

The small rockets would lower costs as they are already available (ie:

no
development costs).

There is no way to get around development costs, because it is too

different
from what we've been doing.

If a rocket has already been built then we have no need to develop it, thus
saving money. All engines on the lander must be pre-existing.

Old August 10th 03, 11:30 AM
Kaido Kert

"Blurrt" wrote in message
u...
Any Ideas on how we could perform a Crewed Mars Mission on the cheap - ie:
less than $1 Billion dollars?

I would suggest using multiple small rockets and a two person crew.

Surface
systems could be sent ahead using ion propulsion.

The small rockets would lower costs as they are already available (ie: no
development costs).

Have you figured out a mission for such a "mission" ?

-kert

Old August 10th 03, 07:30 PM
Treez03

Limit it to two people and see what we can come up with.

Limit it to one and it gets even easier.
Old August 10th 03, 08:02 PM
Alain Fournier

Blurrt wrote:

There have been a few designs for sub billion dollar Lunar Missions. Why
can't we do the same for Mars?

For a lunar mission the astronaut can bring his lunch bag on his lap.
For a Mars mission
life support has to be more massive.

Alain Fournier

Old August 24th 03, 06:01 PM
Martha H Adams

I think two people is too few. My problem with these single-gigabux
ideas, is they don't seem to do more than to do them just to do them.
After the flash, there's no bang: I believe any Mars mission must be
constructed as a part of a program to establish a base and then a
settlement there.

It's a choice; and speaking of choices, I think recent events amount
to a genuine Asimovian psychohistorical crisis. Either, we mount a
program to set bases and settlements out on Luna and Mars; or, we
shovel our resources and more to feed the military and armaments
industries. That's history now. I think later history will judge us
badly.

Grump. -- Martha Adams