SpaceX early crewed flights to be water landings

Old January 31st 15, 05:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default SpaceX early crewed flights to be water landings

http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/01/27...cean-landings/

Again, I think a decent example of the go it slow approach. Yes, eventually
they'll want precision powered landings, but in the meantime, makes sense to
go with what they know.

Old January 31st 15, 12:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 12:16:47 AM UTC-5, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/01/27...cean-landings/

Again, I think a decent example of the go it slow approach. Yes, eventually
they'll want precision powered landings, but in the meantime, makes sense to
go with what they know.

Good move by space X, and I bet boeing will not make their first crewed launch on time.

I wonder if space X can take some cargo along on test flights of the crewed vehicle without astronauts, and deliver the supples to ISS?
Old January 31st 15, 05:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote:
http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/01/27...cean-landings/

Again, I think a decent example of the go it slow approach. Yes,
eventually
they'll want precision powered landings, but in the meantime, makes sense
go with what they know.

Good move by space X, and I bet boeing will not make their first crewed
launch on time.

I wonder if space X can take some cargo along on test flights of the crewed
vehicle without astronauts, and deliver the supples to ISS?

Possibly, but doubtful. Dragon v2 will have had several tests before hand
and honestly, once it's on orbit it's not much different than the original
Dragon.

i.e. there wouldn't be much to be learned from flying it uncrewed.

Heck, as I've said, give me a good chair, and enough air, I'd fly on the
current Dragon. :-)

Old January 31st 15, 08:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

wrote:
http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/01/27...cean-landings/

Again, I think a decent example of the go it slow approach. Yes,
eventually
they'll want precision powered landings, but in the meantime, makes sense
go with what they know.

Good move by space X, and I bet boeing will not make their first crewed
launch on time.

I wonder if space X can take some cargo along on test flights of the crewed
vehicle without astronauts, and deliver the supples to ISS?

Possibly, but doubtful. Dragon v2 will have had several tests before hand
and honestly, once it's on orbit it's not much different than the original
Dragon.

i.e. there wouldn't be much to be learned from flying it uncrewed.

Heck, as I've said, give me a good chair, and enough air, I'd fly on the
current Dragon. :-)

my guess is one full up flight of a crewed version,but no astronauts, delivering some cargo to ISS, before full manned flights begin
Old January 31st 15, 10:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 4:54:45 PM UTC-5, Fred J. McCall wrote:
bob haller wrote:

my guess is one full up flight of a crewed version,but no astronauts, delivering some cargo to ISS, before full manned flights begin

Uh, if there are no astronauts, it's not "crewed". More 'crewable'.

I'm not sure why you'd complicate a vehicle test for a vehicle
intended to be flown manned by stuffing it with cargo. You kind of
want to stuff it with instrumentation...

--George Bernard Shaw

Well assume 4 astronauts at 200 pounds each with suits, then all their consumables.

So you send it with instrumentation... and with whatever left over weight and room to ISS. might as well send some cargo if possible.

Perhaps all extra luxury goods, so the ISS crew can have a party knowing the next docking will be manned
Old February 1st 15, 07:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Perhaps all extra luxury goods, so the ISS crew can have a party knowing the next docking will be manned

Poor Bobbert is just never going to get it. He fixates on silly ideas
and you couldn't blow him loose from them even if you used dynamite.

territory."
--G. Behn

the first flight to ISS by the manned version will be a full up flight, unmanned, with instrumentation and some cargo, probably luxury goods for the crew.

its sad fred is lost in delusion believing he knows everything, when he really knows very little
Old February 1st 15, 07:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

"bob haller" wrote in message

Good move by space X, and I bet boeing will not make their first
crewed launch on time.

I wonder if space X can take some cargo along on test flights of the crewed
vehicle without astronauts, and deliver the supples to ISS?

Possibly, but doubtful. Dragon v2 will have had several tests before hand
and honestly, once it's on orbit it's not much different than the original
Dragon.

i.e. there wouldn't be much to be learned from flying it uncrewed.

Heck, as I've said, give me a good chair, and enough air, I'd fly on the
current Dragon. :-)

There will be two unmanned abort tests in addition to an unmanned flight
of Dragon V2. I'm not sure what the unmanned flight will do
(suborbital, orbital, or to ISS). A quick web search turned up few
details of the planned unmanned flight. That said, I actually doubt the
unmanned flight would attempt to dock at ISS. Docking is more
challenging than berthing (what Dragon does now), so having an astronaut
at the controls would be a good thing to reduce risk to ISS.

Jeff
Old February 1st 15, 07:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

bob haller wrote:

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 4:54:45 PM UTC-5, Fred J. McCall wrote:
I'm not sure why you'd complicate a vehicle test for a vehicle
intended to be flown manned by stuffing it with cargo. You kind of
want to stuff it with instrumentation...

--George Bernard Shaw

Well assume 4 astronauts at 200 pounds each with suits, then all their consumables.

So you send it with instrumentation... and with whatever left over weight and room to ISS. might as well send some cargo if possible.

Perhaps all extra luxury goods, so the ISS crew can have a party knowing the next docking will be manned

Poor Bobbert is just never going to get it. He fixates on silly ideas
and you couldn't blow him loose from them even if you used dynamite.

Agreed. Test flights should be just that. Don't complicate them by
adding on unnecessary requirements. KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid!!!!

Jeff
Old February 1st 15, 07:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

--

progress routinely docks at the station from its begining.

are you suggesting the US cant do something russia has been doing forever?
Old February 1st 15, 07:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"bob haller" wrote in message

There will be two unmanned abort tests in addition to an unmanned flight
of Dragon V2. I'm not sure what the unmanned flight will do
(suborbital, orbital, or to ISS). A quick web search turned up few
details of the planned unmanned flight. That said, I actually doubt the
unmanned flight would attempt to dock at ISS. Docking is more
challenging than berthing (what Dragon does now), so having an astronaut
at the controls would be a good thing to reduce risk to ISS.

Is Dragon 2 going to dock? I thought it was going to berth?

Jeff
--

progress routinely docks at the station from its begining.

are you suggesting the US cant do something russia has been doing forever?

Considering we've docked at the Space station, I think the answer is
obviously that we can do what the Russians have been doing.

However, it's not a question of ability as much why. Berthing can impact
lower impact forces and the CBM permits a 50" opening, vs. I believe about
31" for what the shuttle used.

Hmm, a bit of googling looks like Dragon v2 will use the NDS which will
allow docking or berthing, so the best of both worlds.