Used Meade DS 2102 $ ?

Old September 13th 09, 08:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

Default Used Meade DS 2102 $ ?

Need more advice guys.
Had a star party last night. A Meade DS2102 was left over.
It comes with a CCD and has auto tracking. We checked out
the system this AM, needs a bit of cleaning (iso-alcohol), it
test tracks as expected, the "Autostar" is nifty.
What's it's fair market value?
Ken
Old September 13th 09, 09:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Sep 13, 1:50*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Had a star party last night. A Meade DS2102 was left over.

Unable to parse statement unambiguously.

A "star party", by default, is interpreted to mean: an occasion where
a number of amateur astronomers gather to use their telescopes to
observe the night sky.

There is no default implication that telescopes will be offered for
sale or purchased at that event, although at major star parties that
run for more than one day, sometimes there are dealer tables.

However, if it is needful to determine the "fair market value"of the
telescope, this implies there is someone to give the money to.
Shouldn't you just give the telescope back to him, and let him try to
sell it himself if he wants to? Or is the question that the owner of
the telescope is currently unknown, but storing it until he is located
is not practical?

John Savard
Old September 13th 09, 10:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

On Sep 13, 2:50*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
Need more advice guys.
Had a star party last night. A Meade DS2102 was left over.
It comes with a CCD and has auto tracking. We checked out
the system this AM, needs a bit of cleaning (iso-alcohol), it
test tracks as expected, the "Autostar" is nifty.
What's it's fair market value?
Ken

I don't post here often any more for obvious reasons (for one thing
anything said is lost in the crazy-ass spam)...but I gotta ask...

A TELESCOPE WAS "LEFT OVER" (SOMEONE LEFT IT?) AT A STAR PARTY AND
YOU'RE GONNA SELL IT?! Please tell me I'm not understanding you
correctly. LOL
Old September 13th 09, 10:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:32:30 -0700 (PDT), rmollise
wrote:

A TELESCOPE WAS "LEFT OVER" (SOMEONE LEFT IT?) AT A STAR PARTY AND
YOU'RE GONNA SELL IT?! Please tell me I'm not understanding you
correctly. LOL

I figure that this was one of those star parties where 50 people go in,
but only 49 come out. Somewhere, behind a bush perhaps, the raccoons are
having a feast. Hmmmmm... astronomers.

Up here in the mountains, there are always a few go missing after a big
star party. That's where we get some of our best equipment.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old September 13th 09, 11:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin R. Howell[_8_]

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:50:45 -0700 (PDT), Ken S. Tucker wrote:

needs a bit of cleaning (iso-alcohol),

If you are referring to the scope's mirrors, don't rush into cleaning them.
Others will doubtlessly soon tell you why.

--
Martin R. Howell

Old September 14th 09, 03:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

rmollise wrote:
On Sep 13, 2:50*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
Need more advice guys.
Had a star party last night. A Meade DS2102 was left over.
It comes with a CCD and has auto tracking. We checked out
the system this AM, needs a bit of cleaning (iso-alcohol), it
test tracks as expected, the "Autostar" is nifty.
What's it's fair market value?
Ken

I don't post here often any more for obvious reasons (for one thing
anything said is lost in the crazy-ass spam)...but I gotta ask...

My question was clear.
A boyfriend of ours left the tely as a gift, but with all due
respect, what is the value of said gift?
I ask cuz, I(we) need to exceed gift value to him, in the next
party.
Ken
Old September 14th 09, 05:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

wrote:

Need more advice guys.
Had a star party last night. A Meade DS2102 was left over.
It comes with a CCD and has auto tracking. We checked out
the system this AM, needs a bit of cleaning (iso-alcohol), it
test tracks as expected, the "Autostar" is nifty.
What's it's fair market value?

You can get a new one for $469.

I'd guess about half that for a used one if you have all the pieces.

Bud
Old September 14th 09, 09:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

wrote:

A TELESCOPE WAS "LEFT OVER" (SOMEONE LEFT IT?) AT A STAR PARTY AND
YOU'RE GONNA SELL IT?! Please tell me I'm not understanding you
correctly. LOL

I figure that this was one of those star parties where 50 people go in,
but only 49 come out. Somewhere, behind a bush perhaps, the raccoons are
having a feast. Hmmmmm... astronomers.

Up here in the mountains, there are always a few go missing after a big
star party. That's where we get some of our best equipment.

Did they fall or were they pushed?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 14th 09, 02:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:16:53 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Did they fall or were they pushed?

Shhhhh!

Chris L Peterson