Would the existance of intelligent extra-terrestrial change the destination and the meaning of human life on earth?

Old November 4th 03, 11:09 PM
PR11

Default Would the existance of intelligent extra-terrestrial change the destination and the meaning of human life on earth?

Why has the human being evolved to the current high (technological) level; a
lifeform that questions his reasons for existing?

In order to get an answer to these questions, we´re evolving to a level
beyond the level that is strictly necessary for the survival of our species.
For some reason we crave to find extra-terretrial life, some even risk their
own lifes for this search! Why?!
Suppose intelligent extra-terrestrial life has been discovered by men, would
that mean that is was men's destination tot discover these alian life-forms?
Is it man´s destination to live an extra-terrestrial life? Is it man's
destination tot outlive earth?
Is the search for extra-terrestrial life a part of our evolution? If not,
why are we craving for it?

Sjoerd and Edwin
Holland

Old November 5th 03, 09:58 AM
Bonnie Granat

"PR11" wrote in message
Why has the human being evolved to the current high (technological) level;

lifeform that questions his reasons for existing?

Development of technology is not the same as biologically evolving.

In order to get an answer to these questions, we´re evolving to a level
beyond the level that is strictly necessary for the survival of our

species.
For some reason we crave to find extra-terretrial life, some even risk

their
own lifes for this search! Why?!

Let's ask Magellan and Columbus, and all the rest! When we had enough to
eat, we always go out to see what's there.

Suppose intelligent extra-terrestrial life has been discovered by men,

would
that mean that is was men's destination tot discover these alian

life-forms?
Is it man´s destination to live an extra-terrestrial life? Is it man's
destination tot outlive earth?

That seems to be one of the extremely long-range goals -- colonizing other
worlds to prepare for the time when Earth must be abandoned. But that's an
incredibly long time from now.

Is the search for extra-terrestrial life a part of our evolution? If not,
why are we craving for it?

Humans are by nature explorers. But you address an interesting issue. We
*do* know that the Sun will burn out sooner or later, and this solar system
will be inhabitable. It's a long time from now, but if the human race
survives until the time that Sun threatens to burn us up, it would be nice
to have another place to go to, don't you think? Of course, I'm talking
about a huge number of years -- I forget if it's 500,000 million or 500,000
billion -- but it really *is* going to happen. Earth will be nonexistent.
This solar system is going to close down and nobody will be able to live
here. So, we have to find another home. Maybe the survival instinct has
transmorphed into the realization that you can't start too soon in creating
a plan to escape the inferno that is to come. Only the most optimistic among
us, however, will be doing this, because they alone believe that humanity
will survive long enough to have to leave Earth.

--
Bonnie Granat
Granat Technical Editing and Writing