ASTRO: NGC 6811

Old March 24th 13, 07:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 6811

NGC 6811 is an open cluster in Cygnus. WEBDA puts its distance as 1,215
parsecs (~ 4,000 light-years) and estimates its age as about 630 million
years. Other sources
(http://cdsbib.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/c...J....145....7J) put its
age at about 1 billion years and distance at 3600 light-years. Dreyer's
NGC description says it is large, pretty rich, little condensed with
stars ranging from 11 to 14 magnitude. It's diameter is listed at 15
minutes which isn't all that large. Those I'd consider large won't fit
into my field of view. It is one of four open clusters that are within
Kepler's planetary search field of view. I find a lot of papers looking
at the variability of its red giants but didn't find any mention of
possible planets being found.

This is another object I left no notes about why it was on the to-do
list. It went on before Kepler was running so don't think that was it.
Not a great target for my system. Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't a
typo but don't know what was meant if it was. Anyway since I had the
data I processed it.

While I posted the full size frame the smaller frame at 1.5" per pixel
probably is the better size for this object. Even then it is rather
lost in the stellar background of the Milky Way.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10', RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC 6811L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	563.2 KB
ID:	4542  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC 6811L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	4543