last time the shuttle made re-entry

Old July 15th 05, 03:12 PM
alaneskine

Default last time the shuttle made re-entry

last time the shuttle made re-entry, the coyotes and other critters had

a flesh feast. the meat was already barbequed and shuttle parts on ebay

within 24 hours. Lets see what happens this time.

Old July 15th 05, 03:39 PM
Dylanstubs

may you share in their fate.

Old July 15th 05, 04:03 PM
grtflmark

Dylanstubs Jul 15, 10:39 am show options

Newsgroups: sci.space.shuttle, sci.space.history, sci.space.history, rec.music.gdead
From: "Dylanstubs" - Find messages by this author
Date: 15 Jul 2005 07:39:30 -0700
Subject: last time the shuttle made re-entry
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

may you share in their fate.

....... soon!

Old July 15th 05, 05:38 PM
Schmoe

ANTI-TROLL CREAM. (ANALLY APPLIED)

Old July 15th 05, 05:51 PM

alaneskine wrote:
last time the shuttle made re-entry...

For me, the whole thing was surreal. When the Challenger
disaster happened, it went up and came down. However, the
last one was weird, the networks had the cameras trailing
this fireball that never stopped. I definitely am not
trying to make light of the tragedy. It was just watching
this fireball go on and on knowing that the astronauts
had not was surreal and very sad. It reminded me of a
cartoon sushi episode that had a racecar + driver gradually
disolve as the driver pushed the limit. Astronauts really
do push the limit, we don't.

Kurt

Old July 15th 05, 10:35 PM
Tim K.

"Dylanstubs" wrote in message
oups.com...
may you share in their fate.

Fancy seeing you here!

Old July 17th 05, 07:53 PM
OM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:38:20 -0400, "Schmoe"
wrote:

ANTI-TROLL CREAM. (ANALLY APPLIED)

....Oh God/Yahweh/Jehovah/Buddah/Roddenberry, this one was even more
worse than some of the ones *I've* come up with :-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 19th 05, 02:34 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-07-19, William Mook wrote:

[copied and followups to ssh, as vaguely more relevant there. also,
please quote some context...]

Precisely - 'if memory serves' - please provide a reference showing
that your memory is something more than hearsay.

Note that I wasn't making the original claims, but here's an article
from the Register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02...mbia_auctions/

"Despite warnings from NASA and other US federal authorities not to
touch shuttle debris due to the possible presence of toxic substances,
Web users claiming to have collected chunks of metal and other materials
had established auctions on Ebay by Saturday afternoon. For its part,
Ebay took down the auctions and said it would continue to do so if any
others were discovered on its servers."

A couple of other contemporary stories say much the same thing. I
strongly suspect this is what I remember.

OM noted that when he wrote the relevant section of the loss FAQ (sec.V)
he wasn't aware of any actual attempts to sell, but I don't know how
early he wrote that or if he revised it.

At least four individuals had been charged with theft of debris by early
March; I don't know if any of those were intending to sell, and the
first news stories (dated just after the Reg one) of the arrests
explicitly said that it wasn't known if the first two charged were
involved with the sale attempts - most people were souvenir hunters -
but they were following "at least 17 other reports".

So, hmm. Known:
* People attempted to run eBay auctions purporting to sell debris
* No-one ever sold any.

It seems to still be unclear if any of the people wishing to sell
actually had the debris in their posession, or were just scamming for
the sake of it.

Interestingly, "At a press conference Saturday, U.S. Attorneys Michael
Shelby and Matthew D. Orwig of the Eastern District of Texas, singled
out eBay sellers when they announced their offices would take all
necessary steps to ensure that recovery efforts are not impaired by the
actions of those who seek to obtain pieces of debris."
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/space/1761303 - it could well be
that this fanned a lot of the flames of "people hoarding to sell on
ebay" stories. Another subject to research, in time...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old July 19th 05, 05:30 PM
OM

On 19 Jul 2005 13:34:33 GMT, Andrew Gray
wrote:

OM noted that when he wrote the relevant section of the loss FAQ (sec.V)
he wasn't aware of any actual attempts to sell, but I don't know how
early he wrote that or if he revised it.

....Most of those claims to have Shuttle debris for sale were phony,
and done for sick reasons, obviously. Ergo, there weren't any *actual*
attempts to sell. Those who put debris up for bids didn't have any to
begin with.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 20th 05, 03:20 PM
Andrew Gray

wrote:

OM noted that when he wrote the relevant section of the loss FAQ (sec.V)
he wasn't aware of any actual attempts to sell, but I don't know how
early he wrote that or if he revised it.

...Most of those claims to have Shuttle debris for sale were phony,
and done for sick reasons, obviously. Ergo, there weren't any *actual*
attempts to sell. Those who put debris up for bids didn't have any to
begin with.

Yeah, that was the gist I got from some of the articles - but was this
ever actually confirmed?

--
-Andrew Gray