From Rice University - Baker Institute

Old May 21st 07, 07:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Eric Chomko[_2_]

Default From Rice University - Baker Institute

Just found this: http://www.bakerinstitute.org/Program_View.cfm?PID=9

Old May 22nd 07, 05:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jim Oberg

Why should we care?

You gotta provide more justification for clicking the link
than just "well, -I- think it was cool..."

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just found this: http://www.bakerinstitute.org/Program_View.cfm?PID=9

Old May 22nd 07, 05:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:06:33 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Jim
Oberg" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Why should we care?

You gotta provide more justification for clicking the link
than just "well, -I- think it was cool..."

Considering the source, that would probably be pretty hard.

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just found this: http://www.bakerinstitute.org/Program_View.cfm?PID=9

Old May 22nd 07, 08:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On May 22, 12:06 pm, "Jim Oberg" wrote:
Why should we care?

You gotta provide more justification for clicking the link
than just "well, -I- think it was cool..."

Name of the site was space policy same as the group. There were a
series of links there. Perhaps you didn't like them?

Just found this:http://www.bakerinstitute.org/Program_View.cfm?PID=9- Hide quoted text -

Old May 23rd 07, 02:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Michael Turner

On May 22, 9:29 am, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:06:33 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Jim
Oberg" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Why should we care?

You gotta provide more justification for clicking the link
than just "well, -I- think it was cool..."

Considering the source, that would probably be pretty hard.

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just found this:http://www.bakerinstitute.org/Program_View.cfm?PID=9- Hide quoted text -

I clicked the link anyway. After all, the Baker Institute is hardly a
bunch of flakes -- they issued a report a few months before the
invasion of Iraq that basically outlined a result not too different
from our present predicament.

But there isn't much at that link. What I got from it was little more
than what George Abbey is doing with himself these days. A hard guy
to get rid of, it seems. (I mean Abbey, but if you assumed I meant
Chomko, that's understandable.)

Gee ... "Iraq", "George Abbey", "Eric Chomko" -- no fewer than *three*
juicy morsels of flamebait in this message. How arsonistic of me.
Maybe I'll check in a week later, after there have been 250+ followups
and every seventh word is a scornful epithet.

-michael turner
http://www.transcendentalbloviation.blogspot.com

Old May 24th 07, 04:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Williamknowsbest

On May 22, 12:06 pm, "Jim Oberg" wrote:
Why should we care?

You gotta provide more justification for clicking the link
than just "well, -I- think it was cool..."

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message

ups.com...

Just found this:http://www.bakerinstitute.org/Program_View.cfm?PID=9- Hide quoted text -

What did the pundits of the day say after the Rice speech? That the
President tore a little bit of the 21st century from the future and
brought it to the dark gray skies of our world in the middle of the
20th century - a future of limitless hope - I thought it was quite
elegant. Atlantic Monthly I think. I forgoet who wrote it.

So, now in the 21st century I lie and bed in think of of what could
have been, and dream of space behind the wall of sleep! lol.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pton_jean1.jpg
http://groups.msn.com/MiniMadMod60s/...o&PhotoID=3635

I couldn't find her in her space suit photo - a fabulous pic... legs
that never ended.. I was halfway paralyzed - haha..

She had hair like Jeannie Shrimpton back in 1965
She had legs that never ended
I was halfway paralyzed.
She was tall and cool and pretty and she dressed as black as coal
If she asked me to I'd murder, I would gladly lose my soul.

Now I lie in bed and think of her
Sometimes I even weep,
Then I dream of her behind the wall of sleep.

I think we didn't love it enough, you know? That was it. We were
too practical and not emotional enough to fight the good fight for
those things we loved more than we knew and in the end we failed the
future and lost our role in it.

Constant 1965 dollars - $24 billion per year every year since 1965
would have made a big difference and made everyone's dreams come true
- that's all it took. Back Phil Bono and ROMBUS, continue NERVA, fund
project Selena, and project Diemos... or some variant.

This is an amount of money the DOE spends just to maintain nuclear
weapons - we could easily afforded it then. Now, perhaps its too
late.

I would even say that if we were true to our dreams and passions as a
people, we wouldn't be challenged by 11th century religions today,
we'd be making our own and it would be wonderful..