MSNBC (JimO) Scoops more Inside-NASA Shuttle Documents

Old September 25th 03, 04:57 PM
James Oberg

Default MSNBC (JimO) Scoops more Inside-NASA Shuttle Documents

Don't miss this 'insider document' report.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/970180.asp?0dm=C25AT

Old September 26th 03, 01:55 AM
Craig Fink

James Oberg wrote:

Don't miss this 'insider document' report.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/970180.asp?0dm=C25AT

quote

The opportunity also exists - so far in only low-level discussions - to
include a nonprofessional crewmember who would symbolize NASA's commitment
to flight safety. Various suggestions, ranging from NASA Administrator Sean
O'Keefe himself, to a member of the Gehman Commission that recently issued
its final accident report, have been heard, but the informal proposal has
not reached a serious level.

end quote

I'd suggest that NASA should try to re-fly the most important payload that
was on Challenger when it was destroyed back in 1986. The backup payload
has been available and ready to fly for almost 20 years now. Better yet,
NASA could leave this payload at the Space Station so that it could
perform her function daily for a semester or two.

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.spacetoday.org/Astronauts...Astronaut.html

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/9801/20/space.teacher/

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.nasajobs.nasa.gov/eduastronaut/

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/morgan.html

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...le/126732.html

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr219.shtml

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.nea.org/neatoday/0001/intervw.html

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.challenger10.org/images/n...gan_122685.jpg

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0212/12morgan/

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.time.com/time/education/a...231109,00.html

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www......

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www......

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www...... (the list goes on and on...)

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...an_020521.html

quote

Rookie astronaut Barbara Morgan has yet to be assigned to a flight crew,
but the recent promise from NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe that she will
fly in 2004...

end quote

She would definitely be a "crewmember who would symbolize NASA's commitment
to flight safety" and a commitment to education!

Craig Fink
Old September 26th 03, 02:03 AM
Craig Fink

James Oberg wrote:

Don't miss this 'insider document' report.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/970180.asp?0dm=C25AT

quote

The opportunity also exists - so far in only low-level discussions - to
include a nonprofessional crewmember who would symbolize NASA's commitment
to flight safety. Various suggestions, ranging from NASA Administrator Sean
O'Keefe himself, to a member of the Gehman Commission that recently issued
its final accident report, have been heard, but the informal proposal has
not reached a serious level.

end quote

I'd suggest that NASA should try to re-fly the most important payload that
was on Challenger when it was destroyed back in 1986. The backup payload
has been available and ready to fly for almost 20 years now. Better yet,
NASA could leave this payload at the Space Station so that she could

Old September 26th 03, 02:21 AM
Hallerb

I'd suggest that NASA should try to re-fly the most important payload that
was on Challenger when it was destroyed back in 1986. The

Ahh!!! Shuttles are research missions and not a operational system. As such
only absolutely needed professional astronauts should fly.

Old September 26th 03, 03:21 AM
Craig Fink

Hallerb wrote:

I'd suggest that NASA should try to re-fly the most important payload that
was on Challenger when it was destroyed back in 1986. The

Ahh!!! Shuttles are research missions and not a operational system. As
such only absolutely needed professional astronauts should fly.

All the more reason to fly Barbara Morgan as soon as possible.

The Shuttle is also a tool, to spark imagination. To spark imagination in
young people. All the students who watched Christa McAuliffe first and last
flight have all since grown up and are beginning to have families now.
Wouldn't it be nice to have Barbara Morgan teach their children from space.

http://www.myhero.com/hero.asp?hero=christa

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.fas.org/spp/civil/sts/archive_9701.htm

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Spar...e_christa.html

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.inthe80s.com/dynamic/challenger17.shtml

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/democrat/5116131.htm

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.thehawkeye.com/features/2...ries/2184.html

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://physicalsciences.ucsd.edu/new...loss020403.htm

Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/...d?in_archive=1

It would be nice to see Barbara Morgan name on this calendar.

http://www.mcauliffe.brevard.k12.fl....ndar/july1.htm

http://www.datamanos2.com/challenger...d_forever.html

One of my memories of Christa McAuliffe was on January 27, 1986 the day
before the disasterous launch. While waiting for the launch with nothing to
do, I can remember watching the crew entering the vehicle one by one. When
it was Christa's turn, one of the closeout crew gave her an apple. She
never got to eat that apple.

Craig Fink

Old September 26th 03, 04:06 AM
Hallerb

http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/...9/3d767ca8ecec

d?in_archive=1

It would be nice to see Barbara Morgan name on this calendar.

http://www.mcauliffe.brevard.k12.fl....ndar/july1.htm

http://www.datamanos2.com/challenger...d_forever.html

One of my memories of Christa McAuliffe was on January 27, 1986 the day
before the disasterous launch. While waiting for the launch with nothing to
do, I can remember watching the crew entering the vehicle one by one. When
it was Christa's turn, one of the closeout crew gave her an apple. She
never got to eat that apple.

Craig Fink

I shudder at the effect of another generation watching more deaths of teachers
in space.

Crew should be test pilots ONLY!

Old September 26th 03, 04:17 AM
Stuf4

From James Oberg:
Don't miss this 'insider document' report.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/970180.asp?0dm=C25AT

"...(JimO) Scoops..."

Jim, that chart had made the rounds *last week*. You might want to
consider giving "deep throat" a pay raise!

~ CT
Old September 26th 03, 04:52 AM
Stuf4

From James Oberg:
Don't miss this 'insider document' report.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/970180.asp?0dm=C25AT

From crew photo caption:

"The core group for the next shuttle mission renames unchanged: from
left, Soichi Noguchi, commander Eileen Collins, Steve Robinson and Jim
Kelly. But the three other slots have been emptied to to make room for
those with specialized skills needed for the flight's new
responsibilities."

~ ~ ~ Rub text with lemon juice to reveal the non-PC caption ~ ...

"But the three other slots have been kept empty to minimize the number
of funerals in case NASA overlooked something else."

That's going to be one tough goodbye kiss come launch day:

http://www.jamesoberg.com/image/coll...ety-poster.jpg

I can guess what this daughter's answer to that question will be:
"Mommy, I never saw Captain Janeway leave two young children at home."

*

Also...

Jim Kelly:
"...four children."

(http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/kellyjm.html)

Soichi Noguchi:
"Three children..."

(http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/noguchi.html)

Steve Robinson appears to have no spousal or parenthood attachment.

If the actual reason behind scaling the crew back to just four is to
minimize the risk to human lives, NASA could do better in considering
the impact to family members left behind on the planet.

(Note that the current ISS crew had no such attachments as well when
they were selected and launched.)

Imagine a young child getting to watch mom or dad playing Russian
roulette on national television. Even if the empty chamber gets
clicked, it still has to be a traumatic experience.

~ CT
Old September 26th 03, 05:00 AM
Dave Fowler

(Stuf4)

~ ~ ~ Rub text with lemon juice to reveal the non-PC caption ~ ...

"But the three other slots have been kept empty to minimize the number
of funerals in case NASA overlooked something else."

My non-PC response: You're the biggest asshole I've come across on usenet, bar
none.

DF

Old September 26th 03, 05:08 AM
Alan Erskine

"Dave Fowler" wrote in message
(Stuf4)

~ ~ ~ Rub text with lemon juice to reveal the non-PC caption ~ ...

"But the three other slots have been kept empty to minimize the number
of funerals in case NASA overlooked something else."

My non-PC response: You're the biggest asshole I've come across on usenet,

bar
none.

DF

Then don't respond to him!

--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

"for 'aiming at the stars,' both literally
and figuratively, is a problem to occupy
generations, so that no matter how much
progress one makes, there is always the
thrill of just beginning."
- Robert H Goddard.