UK Kydex source found.

Old June 5th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default UK Kydex source found.

Hi All,

I posted last week about trying to locate a supplier of black Kydex in the
UK, and someone asked if I would let the group know how I got on.

Kydex can be ordered from Vink Plastics in Manchester, thanks to Prof Hobson
for this info.

I phoned them on 0161 873 7080 (option 2 for Kydex supplies).

They can supply black Kydex (one side matt, the other smooth) at £50 for a
8' x 4' sheet. Postage is another £10 (next day), plus VAT on the lot.
This brings the grand total to £70.50, which seems a lot, but one sheet goes
a long way, and would be enough for 2 or even 3 big dobs. They had 1mm in
stock, although they can also get 0.7mm (0.028") but it has to be ordered
in.

This single 8' x 4' sheet will be more than enough for myself and a friend
who are building a 16" Dob each.

Very best wishes and clear, dark skies

--

Paul B, York, UK.

York Astronomical Society
www.yorkastro.co.uk
Please buy from the YAS web shop and help YAS raise funds

Old June 5th 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

I posted last week about trying to locate a supplier of black Kydex in the
UK, and someone asked if I would let the group know how I got on.

Kydex can be ordered from Vink Plastics in Manchester, thanks to Prof Hobson
for this info.

I phoned them on 0161 873 7080 (option 2 for Kydex supplies).

They can supply black Kydex (one side matt, the other smooth) at £50 for a
8' x 4' sheet. Postage is another £10 (next day), plus VAT on the lot.
This brings the grand total to £70.50, which seems a lot, but one sheet goes
a long way, and would be enough for 2 or even 3 big dobs. They had 1mmin
stock, although they can also get 0.7mm (0.028") but it has to be ordered
in.

This single 8' x 4' sheet will be more than enough for myself and a friend
who are building a 16" Dob each.

Hi, I'm curious to know what Kydex is and what use you put it to in building
Dobs and other astronomical uses ?

--
Boo
Old June 6th 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Hi Boo,

KYDEX® is an extremely durable thermoplastic materail available in sheet
form in a range of colors, patterns, textures, thicknesses and grades. The
ATM world has siezed on it for use in telescope light baffles, but also for
other uses where plastic sheet can be employed, i..e. braces in mirror
cells, shims, etc.

Black Kydex is mainly used for light baffles around the secondary cages in
large truss tube design Dobsonian telescopes, as popularised by the Kriege
and Berry book - "The Dobsonian Telescope". See a couple of images I
googled at :-

http://www3.telus.net/astrotel/_imag...-dobsonian.jpg

http://www.starhillinn.com/images/175dob.JPG

And this interesting site which chronicles one person's construction project
of a big Dobsonian scope.

http://www.dougsuniverse.net/18truss.html

Very best wishes and clear, dark skies.

--

Paul B, York, UK.

York Astronomical Society
www.yorkastro.co.uk
Please buy from the YAS web shop and help YAS raise funds

.. .

Old June 12th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Try also

Comco Plastics
Slough
Tel/Fax: 01753-51644
Also Branches in Belfast, Dublin, Manchester.

Ado

"Paul Buglass" wrote in
message ...