Nova (PBS) Tuesday - EXCELLENT Program

Old January 8th 04, 01:57 PM

Default Nova (PBS) Tuesday - EXCELLENT Program

In article LWdLb.314707$_M.1817458@attbi_s54,
"Robert J. Kolker" wrote:

wrote:

And I'm not sure I would call it "stable" since we have a
leadership upheaval built into the political system
every 2, 4, and 6 years.

You prefer "presidents for life" or lifetime monarchs? And suppose the
King is a Lion among men. What if he begets an ass? I think those who
are governed ought to have a say in chosing those who govern them.

And now you're doing an intellectually dishonest thing by snipping
the preamble to my comment and trying to show that I said something
I didn't say. You're just another Democrat trying to pretend
that the previous history of an event (my comment) doesn't matter.
I never thought those guys would have the balls to pretend that
9/11 never happened but they sureashell are doing just that.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Old January 8th 04, 02:43 PM
Robert J. Kolker

wrote:

In article pUUKb.244235$8y1.1125751@attbi_s52,
"Robert J. Kolker" wrote:

wrote:

And who should get the revenues garnered by stuff that has been
patented and copyrighted in previous generations? You?

Yes. It goes into the public domain.

Then what would be the point of making anything?

Listen up sonny. I propose that the inventors, the creators enjoy the
full benefits of their work while they live. I don't like the idea of
paying royalties to the grandchildren or the corporate assigns. That is
rent seeking, not invention and innovation. I do not want to see the
privileges and rewards of invention passed down as family heirlooms.
How does paying royalties to the 200-th generation descendants of the
person who invented the wheel, sound to you.

Life is for the living. I do not want to see the government in the
business of enforcing mortemains. While the inventors live, let them
earn as much from their work as they can and keep the fruits of their
labor. When they are dead let them rot. If they have children, let them
give gifts to their kids -while they live-. Inherited wealth destroys
character. Not my idea either. Andrew Carnegie, the Bill Gates of his
day, thought exactly along these lines. That is why we have the Carnegie
Foundation. Carnegies kids inherited very little from the Old Man.
Carnegie saw to it that his wealth, which he earned, went to benefit the
public after he died.

Bob Kolker