nuclear space engine - would it work ??

Old October 4th 06, 03:41 AM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Robert Kolker

Default nuclear space engine - would it work ??

bombardmentforce wrote:

An investment of money in Real Estate, as you hint your current options
are undiversified at the planetary level. This leads to excessive
accumulating portfolio risk if you consider the long term future of you
investments in churches, foundations and families.

The local ore is also getting played out.

Much metal can be recycled.

Bob Kolker

Old October 4th 06, 04:42 AM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
bombardmentforce

Henry Spencer wrote:
Orion's fallout output..."urk!"

"The lifetime risk of a death due to cancer is about 20% absent the
fallout radiation exposure. The (438 megatons of airborne) fallout
putatively raises that risk to about 20.03%..."
http://newton.nap.edu/books/030909156X/html/373.html

-----
"100 megatons' worth of nuclear weapons in the atmosphere each year.
A full-fledged Orion mission would have increased the amount of fallout
from those tests by 1 percent."
http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-0...t-rocket-ever/

Q.E.D.
20.0300685
---

Do you worry enough about the 20%? Will you let the 0.0000685% cripple
our destiny?

Have you heard of the quadratic does response model?... hormesis?

Old October 4th 06, 04:44 AM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
bombardmentforce

Robert Kolker wrote:
bombardmentforce wrote:

An investment of money in Real Estate, as you hint your current options
are undiversified at the planetary level. This leads to excessive
accumulating portfolio risk if you consider the long term future of you
investments in churches, foundations and families.

Don't forget the portfolio.

The local ore is also getting played out.

Much metal can be recycled.

Bob Kolker

The doesn't do much for a growing population, and is no way for us to
get rich..

Old October 4th 06, 06:06 AM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Matt Giwer

bombardmentforce wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:
Orion's fallout output..."urk!"

"The lifetime risk of a death due to cancer is about 20% absent the
fallout radiation exposure. The (438 megatons of airborne) fallout
putatively raises that risk to about 20.03%..."
http://newton.nap.edu/books/030909156X/html/373.html

-----
"100 megatons' worth of nuclear weapons in the atmosphere each year.
A full-fledged Orion mission would have increased the amount of fallout
from those tests by 1 percent."
http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-0...t-rocket-ever/

Q.E.D.
20.0300685
---
Do you worry enough about the 20%? Will you let the 0.0000685% cripple
our destiny?

Have you heard of the quadratic does response model?... hormesis?

20% of all deaths are due to cancer?

--
Jews who do not condemn Israel are judged by Israel.
-- The Iron Webmaster, 3691
Old October 4th 06, 11:33 AM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Jack Linthicum

bombardmentforce wrote:
Jack Linthicum wrote:
Robert Kolker wrote:
bernardz wrote:

An Orion rocket would work but you would not want to launch it from
Earths surface.

Somewhere over N. Korea would be nice.

Bob Kolker

In all seriousness the original idea was to launch it, or at least test
fire it, near the General Atomics HQ in La Jolla. Yes, using a "small"
nuclear device.

Here's map of the Nerva test site, visted by Dyson as they evaluated
test options.

http://spacebombardment.blogspot.com...mage-zone.html

Chapter 20 Jackass Flats

"We assumed it would be somewhere near La Jolla in the Pacific",
Freeman answers, when asked about the location of the launch. A barge
is mentioned.

Old October 4th 06, 04:28 PM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Robert Kolker

bombardmentforce wrote:

The doesn't do much for a growing population, and is no way for us to
get rich..

True. Recycling buys some time but the moment of truth comes. Either the
population stops growing or we mine metal from the oceans. We do not
have to go to the asteroid belt. There is also substitution of
non-metalic substances for metal. Right now we are getting very strong
material using carbon fibres. Lots of carbon, yes?

I think the soundest approach is population limitation. That way, if our
space efforts fail to produce what is needed, we can still survive a
long time on this planet.

Bob Kolker
Old October 4th 06, 06:31 PM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Jonathan Silverlight[_1_]

In message , Matt Giwer
writes
bombardmentforce wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:
Orion's fallout output..."urk!"

"The lifetime risk of a death due to cancer is about 20% absent the
fallout radiation exposure. The (438 megatons of airborne) fallout
putatively raises that risk to about 20.03%..."
http://newton.nap.edu/books/030909156X/html/373.html

-----
"100 megatons' worth of nuclear weapons in the atmosphere each year.
A full-fledged Orion mission would have increased the amount of fallout
from those tests by 1 percent."
http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-0...t-rocket-ever/
Q.E.D.
20.0300685
---
Do you worry enough about the 20%? Will you let the 0.0000685% cripple
our destiny?

Have you heard of the quadratic does response model?... hormesis?

20% of all deaths are due to cancer?

It's more than that - nearly 30% in industrialised countries
UK http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1192952.stm
USA http://www.cancure.org/statistics.htm
Canada http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/051221/d051221b.htm

But if the choice is between causing air pollution and _being_ air
pollution I'd go for the nuclear pulse rocket!
Old October 4th 06, 06:35 PM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
The Old Man

Robert Kolker wrote:

I think the soundest approach is population limitation. That way, if our
space efforts fail to produce what is needed, we can still survive a
long time on this planet.

Until ~the~ asteroid hits.......

Old October 4th 06, 08:15 PM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history,soc.history.what-if,alt.history.what-if
Danny Dot[_1_]

"bombardmentforce" wrote in message
ps.com...
David Spain wrote:
Project Orion was a concept study.

And a test program. that lead into the Casaba Howitzer test program,
that was the secret core of Reagan's SDI.

http://spacebombardment.blogspot.com...r-concept.html

It proposed building a space-based
only "rocket" ...It was really only
seriously proposed for use strictly in space. The bombs were to be
released in a series of continuous distinct pulses.

Here's evidence it was seriously proposed for Earth launch, by a
serious player, who later was part of the team behind the World Trade
Center.

http://spacebombardment.blogspot.com...-re-lunar.html

As a retired engineer, I don't see how nuclear explosions could be used for
launches. The blast would tend to distroy the vehicle and anyone inside of
the vehicle.

On orbit, a nuclear explosion may not even provide a impulse via blast.
Without an atmosphere, I don't think there would be an impulse of force.
Huge amount of heat in the form of radiation, but no blast overpressure.

But a nuclear reactor with hydrogen of even water being boiled and heated
then expelled out a nozzle would make a good rocket engine.

Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org

Old October 4th 06, 08:46 PM posted to sci.physics.fusion,sci.space.history
Herb Schaltegger[_1_]

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 14:15:13 -0500, Danny Dot wrote
(in article ):

"bombardmentforce" wrote in message
ps.com...

(snipped)

"Bombardmentforce" is a clueless, nuke-obsessed loon. Killfile him and
make your life better.

(F/ups set appropriately)

--
Herb Schaltegger
"You can run on for a long time . . . sooner or later, God'll cut you