Grissom splashdown on TV?

Old November 12th 14, 04:50 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips[_2_]

Default Grissom splashdown on TV?

In "When we left Earth - the NASA Missions", talking about Gus
Grissom's first flight, Gene Krantz pretty much says that they were
watching live when Gus was in the water after the spashdown.

I'm pretty sure that there was no live TV of the recovery. I was
watching on network TV. The TV showed a sumulated recovery or one of
the rehearsals, stating that it was real. When we learned that the
capsule sank and we had been fooled, my father got angry and called
NBC (I think it was). So many people compained about being decieved
that they made a policy to never do that again.

There wasn't any live TV of Gus' recovery, was there?
Old November 12th 14, 09:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Lesher

Jan Philips writes:

There wasn't any live TV of Gus' recovery, was there?

Not a chance...Gemini 6A, the "on again, off again, try it now"
mission was the first with video from the carrier; I don't
recall when the recovery birds got links back to the carrier...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old November 17th 14, 04:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 08:07:45 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

There wasn't any live TV of Gus' recovery, was there?

Not a chance...Gemini 6A, the "on again, off again, try it now"
mission was the first with video from the carrier; I don't
recall when the recovery birds got links back to the carrier...

That is what I thought. But Gene said that they were watching and
saying "Get Gus, Get Gus".
Old November 18th 14, 04:45 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

wrote:

There wasn't any live TV of Gus' recovery, was there?

Not a chance...Gemini 6A, the "on again, off again, try it now"
mission was the first with video from the carrier; I don't
recall when the recovery birds got links back to the carrier...

That is what I thought. But Gene said that they were watching and
saying "Get Gus, Get Gus".

Two thoughts:

Some comments made around here about Kranz's autobiography described it as a
bunch of folks sitting around with a 6-pack of beer reminiscing.
A fun read, but not the most technically accurate. I suspect his (like
pretty much most people's memories) memories area bit conflated.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/550/1 is a classic example.

Old November 21st 14, 09:03 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 22:45:06 -0500, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:

Some comments made around here about Kranz's autobiography described it as a
bunch of folks sitting around with a 6-pack of beer reminiscing.
A fun read, but not the most technically accurate. I suspect his (like
pretty much most people's memories) memories area bit conflated.

This was on an interview on TV, not a book. But you are right. Often
people see something on TV and later think they saw it live. I have a
cousin who thinks they saw the JFK assassination live on TV. And it
is documented that many people who think that they were in Dealy Plaza
at the time were not actually there.