ISS needs RotoRooter

Old May 28th 08, 01:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
David Lesher

Default ISS needs RotoRooter

Oberg is reporting the toilet is not doing all that well.

Better then these http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/col/smith/2002/10/03/askthepilot13/
guys but......

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old May 28th 08, 07:24 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:39:01 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Oberg is reporting the toilet is not doing all that well.

Better then these http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/col/smith/2002/10/03/askthepilot13/
guys but......

....I wonder if anyone's flushed anything down they weren't supposed
to? Anything with a string, perhaps?

[I am *SO* going to get yelled at for that one...:P]

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 28th 08, 09:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
...I wonder if anyone's flushed anything down they weren't supposed
to? Anything with a string, perhaps?

[I am *SO* going to get yelled at for that one...:P]

I hadn't thought of that possibility.
Particularly given that the ISS has a all-male crew at the moment. =-O
But there is another explanation...remember how our Shuttle had trouble
with the icicle growing out of the toilet dump vent on the exterior of
the vehicle? Maybe in revenge for us pulling out of the ABM treaty, the
Russkies have started deploying icy BMs on the ISS! :-D
BTW... remember how wonderfully uncluttered those NASA ISS module
mock-ups were internally?
Here's what the real thing presently looks like in the Destiny module:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...ine_review.jpg
To me that looks like a perfect opportunity to snag your foot on
something important as you float around.

Pat
Old May 28th 08, 09:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

BTW... remember how wonderfully uncluttered those NASA ISS module
mock-ups were internally?
Here's what the real thing presently looks like in the Destiny module:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...ine_review.jpg
To me that looks like a perfect opportunity to snag your foot on
something important as you float around.

Didn't look much better in 2004, either:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._space_lab.jpg
Has the look of a HAM radio shack about it, doesn't it?
Seriously, this looks like a accident waiting to happen with all those
cables hanging all over the place.
For comparison, here's a photo of the training mock-up of Destiny:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/1...c_training.jpg

Pat
Old May 30th 08, 06:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

wrote:

Oberg is reporting the toilet is not doing all that well.

Better then these http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/col/smith/2002/10/03/askthepilot13/
guys but......

...I wonder if anyone's flushed anything down they weren't supposed
to? Anything with a string, perhaps?

[I am *SO* going to get yelled at for that one...:P]

By whom, she asks as she looks about casually.

It's my understanding that they don't do that in orbit. It's easily
avoided, after all.

Mary "I thought everyone knew that"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
Old May 30th 08, 09:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer) wrote:

[I am *SO* going to get yelled at for that one...:P]

By whom, she asks as she looks about casually.

It's my understanding that they don't do that in orbit. It's easily
avoided, after all.

They put them on the pill during their flights?
That's just going to encourage those horny cosmonauts. :-)

Pat
Old May 30th 08, 08:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Thu, 29 May 2008 22:01:02 -0700, "Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary
Shafer)" wrote:

By whom, she asks as she looks about casually.

....Brad Guth, naturally. I mean, after all, he's a...no, wait. We went
through this once before. I know better now, age + wisdom and all that
:-)

("Or was that thrice burned in one shot?" - Pat)

It's my understanding that they don't do that in orbit. It's easily
avoided, after all.

....In one of my Health & Hygene classes in high school - circa 1979 -
the discussion of bodily excretions and how to handle difficult
situations came up. *Somehow* - and I had nothing to do with it,
honest! - the issue of doing normal bodily functions in Zero-G came
up. Since I was the known expert on All Things Space ever since 1st
grade, I got called on to provide the answer. Almost immediately after
that, one of the more obnoxious gals we had - a year behind us, but so
much of a tomboy that everyone was surprised when she got married to a
*guy* shortly after she graduated! - point blank asked how they
handled what I'll refer to as "A visit from Aunt Rose" in space.
Needless to say, I handled that one with the only answer possible at
that time:

"Well, there's only been one female into outer space, and she didn't
stay up long enough to find out, so there really isn't an
answer...yet."

Bullet. Dodged. Whew.

Mary "I thought everyone knew that"

....Hell, there's still people out there that are surprised that ISS
has a toilet! We got the masses so trained in the FCU and UCD methods
that they think they're still using just those :-P

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old May 31st 08, 01:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Shafer)" wrote:

By whom, she asks as she looks about casually.

...Brad Guth, naturally. I mean, after all, he's a...no, wait. We went
through this once before. I know better now, age + wisdom and all that
:-)

Now I'm picturing Guth with these strings hanging out of his ears.
Yes, it's that time of the month again - the Moon is full, and Brad is
so worked up that he's bleeding from his ears.
Anyone want to bet that if we shoot a douche in one ear, it will spray
right out of the other?

("Or was that thrice burned in one shot?" - Pat)

That was about the cannon I take it.
That scar on my right hand is actually starting to fade away, after only
26 years.

...Hell, there's still people out there that are surprised that ISS
has a toilet! We got the masses so trained in the FCU and UCD methods
that they think they're still using just those :-P

Question of the week...if they crap in the baggies and seal them, I
assume they are airtight.
So what's to stop the bacteria in the bolus* from producing gas and
causing the bag to swell up and explode?

* You know, ****.
Old May 31st 08, 01:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Question of the week...if they crap in the baggies and seal them, I
assume they are airtight.
So what's to stop the bacteria in the bolus* from producing gas and
causing the bag to swell up and explode?

If the baggies are reasonably close to the Apollo era ones - they
contain an antiseptic to deal with said bacteria.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/