A moderated group: Real Amateur Astronomy

Old November 27th 07, 08:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
eddie[_2_]

Default A moderated group: Real Amateur Astronomy

Dear fellow Sci.astro.amatuer members,

Some time ago I put together a group called Real Amateur Astronomy,
not usenet but a member of Googlegroups.

Since we are having so much of a problem with these hackers spammers,
why not post to my group as I'm already the moderator.

To send a message to our group just e-
mail

Sincerely and with Best wishes,

P. Edward Murray
Old November 27th 07, 08:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
eddie[_2_]

Sam,

All I'm saying is that the site is up and it will be moderated IF
folks would like to use it without being bothered by hackers, spammers
and undesirable cranks etc.

Ed
Old November 27th 07, 10:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anders Eklöf

eddie wrote:

Dear fellow Sci.astro.amatuer members,

Some time ago I put together a group called Real Amateur Astronomy,
not usenet but a member of Googlegroups.

Since we are having so much of a problem with these hackers spammers,
why not post to my group as I'm already the moderator.

You said it best yourself - it's not usenet.

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour
Old November 27th 07, 11:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Nov 27, 2:35 pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
eddie wrote:
Dear fellow Sci.astro.amatuer members,

Some time ago I put together a group called Real Amateur Astronomy,
not usenet but a member of Googlegroups.

Since we are having so much of a problem with these hackers spammers,
why not post to my group as I'm already the moderator.

To send a message to our group just e-
mail

Sincerely and with Best wishes,

P. Edward Murray

I prefer USENET... I can read it with my mail. It's easy to
filter out stuff I don't want to see.... But most important,
we are a community... a community of folks interested in amateur
astronomy... news, resources, equipment and technique related to
observing. This is where it's at for me!

Unfortunately there is almost no news, very little resources and no
equipment and techniques being discussed on Sci.astro any more. This
maybe usenet, but where are the discussions of new techniques and
equipment for amateurs? In my opinion, this is the model T crowd on
this channel. Over and out...

Illinois Uncle

Old November 28th 07, 07:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jerry warner[_8_]

but there isnt anything here! I think Im leaving after years...
and it never was easy@!

Old November 28th 07, 07:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jerry warner[_8_]

Anders Eklöf wrote:

eddie wrote:

Dear fellow Sci.astro.amatuer members,

Some time ago I put together a group called Real Amateur Astronomy,
not usenet but a member of Googlegroups.

Since we are having so much of a problem with these hackers spammers,
why not post to my group as I'm already the moderator.

You said it best yourself - it's not usenet.

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

Thats why you have no friends and are on the Bush-Cheney
contributor list. Ambassadorship soon? (to Mars?)

Old November 28th 07, 08:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article ,
eddie wrote:
eddie wrote:
[...]

You're not the first one suggesting such a solution.

And that's the disadvantage of it: the Usenet sci.astro.amateur newsgroup
would be split up into several communities spread here and there on various
web sites. Some would go to your site, others would go to a second site,
and still others would go to a third site, etc. And some would remain
here....

Spam is indeed a problem but can be fought with spam filters. Splitting
up the community into several groups isolated from one another is a much
harder problem to solve.

Google around for awhile and you'll find a quite large number of web
based amateur astronomy communities out there - we just don't need still
another one. If you really want to leave s.a.a. due to all the spamming
here, why not instead join some already existing web-based amateur
astronomy community?

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/