Time Lapse animation of the asteroid Vesta

Old December 24th 05, 05:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.astro.ccd-imaging

Default Time Lapse animation of the asteroid Vesta

As you may know the asteroid Vesta is rather bright. It is currently around
mag 6.7, bright enough to be seen with the naked eye. On Jan 7th it will
reach its brightest, mag 6.2. On Dec 19th I decide to image Vesta.
Be warned though it is not one of the amazing pretty pictures you may be
used to seeing posted here. (I just don't seem to be capable of taking
those).

The image shows a little of the asteroid's motion during its 3.62 year
orbit. It is a slow mover and currently in the constellation of Gemini.
The image was captured over one 8 hour period.
A couple of still images and the animation can be found he
http://www.jatobservatory.org/Galler...asteroids.html

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org
Old December 25th 05, 05:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:

As you may know the asteroid Vesta is rather bright.

Neato. Thanks for the links about Vesta.

For thanksgiving (Nov 2005) I visited the Smithsonian in Washington
DC where one display talks about a meteorite that is thought
to have come from Vesta. I didn't know that anyone had recovered
material from Vesta and I was amazed that anyone would be able to
identify it. I would imagine amazing claims like that would have to
be supported by overwhelming evidence. There was little explanation
in the Smithsonian display for people like myself, whose reaction
was about the same as if I'd been shown a photo of a martian.
I don't know much geology, so perhaps the pyroxene spectra
clinches it for people in the know, but the Smithsonian display
leaves you with the feeling that someone was walking along and
saw the rock, picked it up, scratched their head thoughtfully
and said "yup looks like it's from Vesta".

I think being able to identify tektites as coming from the moon
is amazing, and then to find and identify tektites/meteorites from
Mars is more than amazing. Now to know that a rock comes from Vesta
leaves me dumbstruck.

Joe

generator at
http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
Old December 25th 05, 07:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:35:59 GMT, mack wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I am glad you found the links useful.

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org