When telescopes went "Tick-Tock".

Old April 13th 05, 06:30 PM
Dan Mckenna

Mike Simmons wrote:
Mike,

Do you know what year the UCLA and r Mt wilson refractors were built ?

Dan

Hi Mike,

I seem to remember someone telling me these were in a class of "Garden
Telescopes" that were vogue with the upper crust at one time.
Is that a memory error on my part or true ?

Dan

Hi Dan,

I hadn't heard that. They'd be awfully nice "Garden Telescopes", wouldn't
they? :-) The one at Mt. Wilson was definitely made for professional use
for the solar program (monitoring the sun for active regions for the tower
telescopes to study in more detail) but I don't know if it was actually
part of a regular production run sold to amateurs as well as professionals.

Mike Simmons

Old April 14th 05, 04:08 AM
Mike Simmons

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:30:21 -0700, Dan Mckenna wrote:

Mike Simmons wrote:
Mike,

Do you know what year the UCLA and r Mt wilson refractors were built ?

Dan

The Mt. Wilson scope went into operation in 1914, I believe. I can check
on the exact date if you want it. I don't know the history of the UCLA
scope, though, so I don't know if it was made at the exact same time. I'll
check with someone else who knows more about that scope and report back.

Mike Simmons
Old April 14th 05, 08:08 PM
Mike Simmons

Mike Simmons wrote:
Mike,

Do you know what year the UCLA and r Mt wilson refractors were built ?

Dan

New info -- the Mt. Wilson scope was installed in 1913. The UCLA scope was
purchased in the 1930s (1936?) but I don't know if it had a previous owner
or was purchased directly from the company. Brashear was bought out by
Fecker so it could have been bought from them if they had made no changes
to the model (it's identical to the Mt. Wilson scope other than the
electric motor).

Mike Simmons
Old April 14th 05, 08:43 PM
Dan Mckenna