Spirit communication lost!

Old January 22nd 04, 06:36 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default Spirit communication lost!

Folks,

I just received a news flash from the Space Flight Now web site
(run by Astronomy Now Magazine) and it seems to be official that
communication HAS been lost.

We have the proposed landing of Opportunity on the weekend and,
hopefully, Spirit will be back in action by then so that we can enjoy
transmissions from both rovers.

Anthony.

Old January 22nd 04, 07:30 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
Folks,

I just received a news flash from the Space Flight Now web site
(run by Astronomy Now Magazine) and it seems to be official that
communication HAS been lost.

It's not that bad yet. In fact, they do have two way communication.
It's just not working properly. There is a serious problem, apparently
in the computer. But if it is a software problem (which is not
unprecedented) then there is a good chance for recovery; time to reboot.
If it is hardware that is another matter, but even then there are
possible solutions.

If I were you I'd find another news source less likely to indulge in
hyperbole, or did you add that yourself...

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

Old January 22nd 04, 07:35 PM
Wfoley2

Well, this NASA ain't the one that got the Mariners to work so well....
Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old January 22nd 04, 07:35 PM
Wfoley2

Old January 22nd 04, 07:35 PM
Wfoley2

Old January 22nd 04, 07:43 PM
Alan the Horse

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:30:46 -0700, Greg Crinklaw
wrote:

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
Folks,

I just received a news flash from the Space Flight Now web site
(run by Astronomy Now Magazine) and it seems to be official that
communication HAS been lost.

It's not that bad yet. In fact, they do have two way communication.
It's just not working properly. There is a serious problem, apparently
in the computer. But if it is a software problem (which is not
unprecedented) then there is a good chance for recovery; time to reboot.
If it is hardware that is another matter, but even then there are
possible solutions.

If I were you I'd find another news source less likely to indulge in
hyperbole, or did you add that yourself...

The misrepresentation is the poster's. Spaceflightnow is, in my not
so humble opinion, a pretty good source on the mission.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/status.html