Opinions Wanted:SCTs -vs- Refractors

Old January 10th 04, 12:43 AM
Roger Cole

Default Opinions Wanted:SCTs -vs- Refractors

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 04:44:29 GMT, John Steinberg
wrote:

I've often wondered, after so many years of posting to Usenet, when you
would finally grok the basic concept of how word wrap works?

His original posts looks fine to me using Agent and Giganews via
Comcast.

Most clients have configurable word wrap settings.
--
Remove "SPAMPRUF" to email me.

Old January 10th 04, 07:25 PM
Sol Robbins

"Bill Becker" wrote in message ...

From what I've read, the properly matched Chromacorr does one heck of a job
in this regard.

Maybe Sol R., and others, can share some actual on hand experience with
you.

Best regards,
Bill

Hi Bill,

The benefits of the Chromacor II are obvious, however there some some
little ticks to optimze its efficiency that's not widely discussed
except in specific user groups. The Chromacor has some variability
which can be used to optimize scope performance for various observing
situations. Additionally, my 6" refractor's performance is very
consistent. I also find that in just about all observing situations,
my refractor will show the same details as any 8" image brightness
aside. It certainly outperformed my particular 8" SCT, as well as many
other 8" SCT samples. The refractor seems to behave much better at a
higher magnification to resolution ceiling more times than not.
Obviously, wide field viewing is not my style.

BTW, the Chromacor wasn't initially designed for the popular faster f
ratio achromat refractors, at say f/5-f/6.

If you wish, a fuller wide ranging feature/benefit, pro & con
discussion regarding the Chromacor would probably be better suited by
starting a new thread.

I just hope Caesar's original question and ensuing responses has
helped him out.

If folks are curious, I have 8 drawings posted at the Cloudy Nights
Astrophotography Gallery, Planets Forum. With good sky conditions, I
believe that what I attempted to render is pretty much par for the
course using either my 6" Skywatcher refractor w/Chromacor, or my 9.6"
Newtonian.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...4,5,6,7,8,9,10

I believe that no membership is required to view these files.
Currently, I think I've made over 30 drawings of Jupiter, Mars and
Saturn using the 6" refractor over the last 1.5 years. Details are
somewhat similar throughout this time span.

Best, Sol R.