Open Cluster NGC 6704

Old November 10th 15, 06:06 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default Open Cluster NGC 6704

NGC 6704 is a rarely imaged open cluster in Scutum. This may be because it is only one degree north of the far glitzier M11. Also it is located on the outskirts of Barnard 111 where extinction from the dust greatly dims and reddens the stars by about a factor of about 2. M11 is out of this reddening dust.

WEBDA lists the cluster as being some 9,700 light-years distant. They give its age as about 70 to 75 million years. For comparison M11 is listed by WEBDA as being 6100 light-years distant so much closer but also older at 200 million years. Most sources list NGC 6704 as being about 6? minutes across which, ignoring the question mark, makes it about 17 light-years across. It is classified as Trumpler I3m. I=strongly separated from background stars; 3=wide range of star brightness and m=medium rich in stars. M11 (NGC 6705) is I2r for less range in star brightness but rich in stars compared to NGC 6704. The cluster was discovered by August Winnecke on July 23, 1854 using a 3" Merz refractor.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=1x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6704L4X10RGB1X10B.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	5974  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6704L4X10RGB1X10B-1336.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	646.0 KB
ID:	5975  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6704L4X10RGB1X10B-1336CROP.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	5976
Old November 10th 15, 09:09 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Here's another version with the background stars greatly reduced. I can't decide which I prefer.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6704L4X10RGB1X10-1336.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	5977

M35 - An open cluster in Gemini ukastronomy UK Astronomy 0 February 18th 08 03:23 PM
The Sun, in an Open Cluster Jeremiah J. Burton Amateur Astronomy 30 May 24th 04 11:31 PM
M67 Open Cluster Dennis Persyk Misc 1 May 1st 04 12:06 PM
M67 Open Cluster Dennis Persyk CCD Imaging 0 April 30th 04 10:32 PM
NGC1647 Open cluster - Help in field testing a draft cluster magnitude chart PrisNo6 Amateur Astronomy 21 March 22nd 04 01:15 AM