Japan's Lunar Solar Power Station

Old June 9th 10, 05:54 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Japan's Lunar Solar Power Station

Pat Flannery wrote:
On 6/9/2010 7:42 AM, David Spain wrote:

Funny, you don't _write_ Jewish. :-D

Um, you've lost me there Pat.

Sylvia.

זו היתה בדיחה

Weren't the Jews tossed out of Spain during the Inquisition?
I'll bet they weren't expecting that... ;-)

Pat

Well no one expected the Moorish Inquisition either....

Turns out they were right on that one....

;-)

Dave

Old June 10th 10, 02:37 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 6/9/2010 8:54 AM, David Spain wrote:

Weren't the Jews tossed out of Spain during the Inquisition?
I'll bet they weren't expecting that... ;-)

Pat

Well no one expected the Moorish Inquisition either....

Turns out they were right on that one....

;-)

Dave

The strange case of the turncoat Rabbi Messiah who converted to Islam:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatai_Zevi

Pat

Old June 10th 10, 05:41 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jun 8, 12:10*am, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 8/06/2010 1:26 PM, Jorge R. Frank wrote:

On 06/10/2010 06:46 PM, John M wrote:

"Bob Myers" wrote in message
On 6/7/2010 8:00 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 6/7/2010 1:40 PM, Rick Jones wrote:

Zounds - no little wimpy SPS indeed - but how would the Man in the
Moontake to having that gag build around his face?-)

Think of the advantages though - Japan would finally have a safe
place to store its nuclear waste - in a dump on the lunar far side,
where it would remain perfectly safe. ;-)

Pat

Well, sure, until it blows up and sends theMoonhurtling out of its
orbit
and on a strange voyage across the galax...wait, wasn't that supposed
to happen about 11 years ago?

They might have travelled forward in time, remember when the explosion
caused themoonto reach another solar system, people starting asking
how is that possible? And the next season they went back in time
to explain the explosion sent them through a black hole.

Or maybe they all died in the plane crash...ah..I mean explosion, and
live happily ever after in heaven.

;-)

Actually, I think the most serious problem with either this proposal or
the more usual SPSs is going to be those who worry about the effects
of the microwave beams used to carry the power to Earth. On the other
hand, the tinfoil hats will finally be truly useful.

The microwave beam from orbital satellites is said to be less intense
than normal sunlight.

That is correct; for an SPS in GSO the power/area is about one-fourth
the solar constant.

That's not particularly comforting. My skin is reasonably opaque to most
of the radiation emitted by the sun. It's not similarly opaque to
microwaves.

Sylvia.

That physically dark moon/Selene gives off gamma, hard X-rays,
ordinary X-rays and soft X-rays, as well as seriously radiating loads
of IR (1200 w/m2) by day, but there's not much UV reflected.

It's also a very mineral rich and naked, thus unavoidably a reactive
color/hue saturated surface that's unusually weathered smooth and
otherwise highly electrostatic charged.

Why would our moon be any less lethal then a GSO?

~ BG

Old June 11th 10, 04:09 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
John M

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
On 6/10/2010 3:46 PM, John M wrote:

The microwave beam from orbital satellites is said to be less intense
than normal sunlight.

Considering some of the sunburns I've gotten, I don't find that all that
reassuring...
Tinfoil hat? I may want a whole tinfoil suit. ;-)
Pat

I'm sure they can come up with a sun tan lotion for that, one with
a SPF rating of SBSP.

Old June 11th 10, 05:23 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

"Bob Myers" wrote in message
[...]

Japan could also set up my Lunar Space Elevator(LSE), with its
spacious and robust Counter Mass(CM) hosting the all new International
Space Station(ISS) as the best ever zero delta-V OASIS gateway, plus
having the tethered dipole element holding onto its termination pod
within 2R of mother Earth. This Guth LSE, CM, ISS and its tethered
dipole element along with its substantial science platform that's held
to within 2R of Earth (6371 km from the surface) would be pretty
nifty.

~ BG
Old June 11th 10, 11:53 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
John M

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news
On 6/7/2010 11:10 PM, Sylvia Else wrote:

That's not particularly comforting. My skin is reasonably opaque to most
of the radiation emitted by the sun. It's not similarly opaque to
microwaves.

Okay, so it's a _deep_ tan. ;-)
Anyway, that's supposed to be if you were standing in the rectenna; in
actuality you would have the mesh of the antenna above you, protecting you
from the microwaves in the same way the perforated sheet in a microwave
oven door's window does.

They would make a great Faraday cage, as long as the openings in the
mesh are smaller than the micowaves, they can't get through.

Pat