NGC 6979

Old January 25th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default NGC 6979

Still mining the hard drive due to clouds here.

Not everything I do while sleeping works. M81 and M82 worked well that
way but not this guy. Seems the catalogs are wrong. Everything I have
says Pickering's Triangle in the Veil is NGC 6979. So I set that to be
taken and went to bed. I got up to what you see below. I checked the
DSS POSS2 plates for NGC 6979 and got exactly this object. I checked
many websites and all call NGC 6979 Pickering's Triangle. That is about
a half degree east and south of this piece of the Veil. I can't find
any NGC number for Pickering's Triangle. A very tiny outlying piece of
it is visible in the lower right corner of the picture. This piece of
the Veil complex was way too faint for the 6 images I used. I took 12
but this was when my temp compensating focuser was down the first time
and the temp dropped to much. Even these 6 are somewhat out of focus
due to the temperature drop. Next time I'll wait for the first frame
and see if I'm taking what I think I'm taking. Then I'll go to bed.
Unfortunately I'll have to wait a while for the Earth to come around
again before I can take the right object.

14" LX200R@f/10, 6x5' binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6979_6X5.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	389
Old January 27th 07, 05:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Still mining the hard drive due to clouds here.......

Rick,

Thanks for posting this one! I usually spend hours on this object every
summer. A couple who are good friends have an Obsession 20 and when I
observe with them during the summer the female half keeps saying "Can we
look at the Veil now??" The rest of us say: "No it's not high enough yet!"
and wait 'til 2:00 am before viewing it knowing that that will keep everyone
up at least another hour.

George N

PS After years of looking thru their Dob I always knew I wanted one. One
night when it clearly beat our C-14 and AP 6-inch APO on Mars I bought a
used Obsession 20 off of A-mart a few days later. Of course mine is better
than theirs........ (well, maybe not).

Old January 27th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Still mining the hard drive due to clouds here.......

Rick,

Thanks for posting this one! I usually spend hours on this object every
summer. A couple who are good friends have an Obsession 20 and when I
observe with them during the summer the female half keeps saying "Can we
look at the Veil now??" The rest of us say: "No it's not high enough yet!"
and wait 'til 2:00 am before viewing it knowing that that will keep everyone
up at least another hour.

George N

PS After years of looking thru their Dob I always knew I wanted one. One
night when it clearly beat our C-14 and AP 6-inch APO on Mars I bought a
used Obsession 20 off of A-mart a few days later. Of course mine is better
than theirs........ (well, maybe not).

A club member in Nebraska has a 30" Obsession and a huge trailer for it
with a large diesel pickup to pull everything. M1 is better and more
colorful in that than in any photo I've ever seen. It blows you totally
away. You expect it to be good but WOW! Still, it is way too much work
for me. If I was 30 years younger maybe. It also shows the red behind
the horsehead and blue arms with a yellow center for M81. But being 15'
up in the air (it feels like it in the dark anyway) is not something
this guy likes doing! But the view of M81 and M82 were worth a few
missed heartbeats. Oh yes, for simple occasions he also has a 20"
Obsession.

Rick