M78 et al. Reprocessed

Old March 31st 04, 07:17 PM
Dennis Persyk

Default M78 et al. Reprocessed

A couple of experienced imagers on another group noted that my image
was clipped too much (sky too dark). The histogram indicates that
they were indeed correct. I did not know what this region should look
like so I inadvertently threw away luminosity that I had mistaken for
noise! I am learning, slowly but surely.

The reprocessed image and the original, along with histograms
illustrating the clipping, are at
http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

Bob Holzer reprocessed my image for me in Photoshop using Curves. I
was able to reproduce his work after considerable effort in using
Curves in ImagesPlus.

I know from Rod Wodaski's book what the histogram should look like.
Achieving that histogram shape is the hard part for me!

It would be really great if one could shape the histogram directly by
dragging on it. The histogram is what we want to reshape to give a
rising function from the terminal black point, but we have to fool
around with Curves to indirectly achieve this effect. Isn't there an
easier way?

I welcome comments from everyone as to your impressions of the
before/after images. Thanks for looking.

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
Hampshire, IL