Another source of light pollution

Old January 30th 18, 06:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default Another source of light pollution

Chris L Peterson:

Rights are whatever a society defines them to be.

That's why I said "It's a civilization thing."

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old January 30th 18, 07:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 00:28:48 -0500, Davoud wrote:

Chris L Peterson:

Rights are whatever a society defines them to be.

That's why I said "It's a civilization thing."

I'm not sure what that means. But you also said that rights "just
are", which is patently false.
Old January 30th 18, 07:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 06:28:50 UTC+1, Davoud wrote:
Chris L Peterson:

Rights are whatever a society defines them to be.

That's why I said "It's a civilization thing."

"Civilization" is a term without clear definition and has yet to be [remotely] achieved by any culture or species [knowingly] living on this planet.
Old January 30th 18, 07:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 2:14:15 PM UTC-7, palsing wrote:
On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 12:46:20 PM UTC-8, Paul Schlyter wrote:

Human rights are rights granted to all humans. For instance the right
to not be killed.

Tell that to the grizzly bear you surprise on a hike.

Tell that to the residents of certain villages in the middle east.

Just exactly who is it who grants this 'right not to be killed'?

Human rights are not granted. Human rights are properties of all humans,
just as electric charge, angular momentum, and mass are properties of an
electron.

However, a human right not to be killed unjustly is not a guarantee that
one will not be killed unjustly. It just means that if one _is_ killed
unjustly without compelling reason by a being that is a moral agent, that
being has done something that is _wrong_.

Which makes it licit to use force against that being, either to prevent a
wrong action or to deter other wrong actions by avenging a past wrong, or
to compel the being to undergo rehabilitative therapy and so on.

It is because of human rights being inherent in humans that it is
meaningful to say that Negro slavery and the Holocaust, for example, were
wrong, despite both being authorized by the governments in power at the
time. Human rights mean that governments, while they define the laws we
must obey to avoid being punished by the agents of those governments, do
not define right and wrong; right and wrong are not defined or altered in
the least by governments or any other human creation, but are as
unalterable as the laws of mathematics and physics.

John Savard
Old January 30th 18, 07:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 4:59:12 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Human rights are human inventions, that do not exist separate from our
culture. They may be claimed by those who are strong enough to defend
them, they may be granted by rulers. But there are no naturally
occurring rights. Not a one. Rights are whatever a society defines
them to be.

But then how is it we can criticize a society for being perverse,
because it mistreats some of the people within its reach?

Basically, rights are what the ideal society would define them to be.
What other societies define are an imperfect reflection of what rights
are.

John Savard
Old January 30th 18, 07:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 11:21:36 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:

"Civilization" is a term without clear definition and has yet to
be [remotely] achieved by any culture or species [knowingly]
living on this planet.

No, it's a clear technical term. And many cultures on this planet
have a written language and live in cities.

Of course, it has _other_ meanings. The meaning you seem to be
using... I'd say that while none of our cultures are absolutely
perfect, many of them are decent and fair in their behavior under
normal circumstances which permit it. No society is so strong it
doesn't face exigencies of survival, but it's hardly fair to
condemn people for not wanting to fall to the levels of unfreedom
they see around them in other societies.

John Savard
Old January 30th 18, 07:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 11:09:15 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

I'm not sure what that means. But you also said that rights "just
are", which is patently false.

It's true that you can't point a rights-o-meter at a human being and
detect his or her human rights.

But I think that's taking empiricism a tad too far.

People say that it's a shame that the United States allowed black
people to be hauled in from Africa and then bought and sold like
horses.

But yet the society at the time authorized the practice with its
laws.

To say that human beings have rights is another way of saying that
because human beings have feelings, and have a certain level of
ability to think, it matters how you treat them. And it doesn't
matter, as far as the rightness and wrongness of this, how many
others gather together and try to make up rules that say
otherwise. Their numbers are merely a practical obstacle for those
who wish to set matters straight.

Majority vote doesn't decide what is just; but it is a way to
attempt to find out what is just, as it is more likely for a
majority to want what is fair to all than it is for one autocrat
to want what is fair to all. That is the reason for democracy.

If one were to hypothesize an all-loving all-wise God, then of
course right and wrong would be what He commends versus what He
abominates. As it is possible to hypothesize a God without God
actually existing - surely the world's contending sects are
evidence of that - it's not as if right and wrong are so vague as
not to be susceptible of definition.

John Savard
Old January 30th 18, 08:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:49:14 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 11:09:15 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

I'm not sure what that means. But you also said that rights "just
are", which is patently false.

It's true that you can't point a rights-o-meter at a human being and
detect his or her human rights.

But I think that's taking empiricism a tad too far.

People say that it's a shame that the United States allowed black
people to be hauled in from Africa and then bought and sold like
horses.

But yet the society at the time authorized the practice with its
laws.

Of course. Because these people had fewer rights, which was reflected
by the law.

To say that human beings have rights is another way of saying that
because human beings have feelings, and have a certain level of
ability to think, it matters how you treat them.

No, I don't think those two things are the same thing at all.

And it doesn't
matter, as far as the rightness and wrongness of this, how many
others gather together and try to make up rules that say
otherwise.

Yes, it does. "Right" and "wrong" are human inventions as well. What
is right in one society may be wrong in another. There are no
absolutes here.

Majority vote doesn't decide what is just; but it is a way to
attempt to find out what is just, as it is more likely for a
majority to want what is fair to all than it is for one autocrat
to want what is fair to all. That is the reason for democracy.

What is "just" is also defined by humans. The idea that all people
should be treated equally is a rather new concept, rarely found in
human history. Indeed, it may prove to be unworkable.

If one were to hypothesize an all-loving all-wise God, then of
course right and wrong would be what He commends versus what He
abominates.

Even that is arguable. I don't think an all-wise god would define
right and wrong, but would allow its creations to develop their own
moral codes and allow them to develop and improve over time. Failure
to meet its ideals of a perfect morality would not equate to "wrong"
for its creations.
Old January 30th 18, 08:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:35:29 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 4:59:12 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Human rights are human inventions, that do not exist separate from our
culture. They may be claimed by those who are strong enough to defend
them, they may be granted by rulers. But there are no naturally
occurring rights. Not a one. Rights are whatever a society defines
them to be.

But then how is it we can criticize a society for being perverse,
because it mistreats some of the people within its reach?

I do not universally criticize societies for doing this.

Basically, rights are what the ideal society would define them to be.
What other societies define are an imperfect reflection of what rights
are.

I disagree, given that there is no "ideal society". The best human
society in terms of our success as a species may turn out to be a
single brilliant autocrat who simply kills every other person who
fails to fulfill his given role well enough.
Old January 31st 18, 08:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 20:27:05 UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:

I disagree, given that there is no "ideal society". The best human
society in terms of our success as a species may turn out to be a
single brilliant autocrat who simply kills every other person who
fails to fulfill his given role well enough.

Whoops! Doesn't this come down to ample reward for effort?
Slaves would argue strongly against your role fulfillment aspect.
The broken tail light, capital punishment syndrome is considered harsh.
Crooked oil princes imagine themselves too worthy to need any moral role.
That belief is constantly reinforced by the world's oil buying nations.

We have not yet descended to true comic book, black and white morality.
Yet our fiction is still fixated on appeals to imaginary gods and super-beings.
All in a desperate bid to provide the natural justice not available within any existing society.
The irony being that those who would guard our morals and roles are usually the absolute extremists of human corruption.

Meanwhile, Lord, please mark me down for double rations of Soylent, easy over, when you finally get to be in charge. ;-)

The very first presidential effort to ever address Light Pollution: AlGore.org Statement on Light Pollution Ed[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 20 April 25th 07 12:30 PM
light pollution g Misc 1 October 26th 04 04:24 PM
Light pollution Steve UK Astronomy 7 June 12th 04 08:42 PM
Light Pollution Philip Amateur Astronomy 19 August 11th 03 10:48 PM