Time to get serious.. and back on topic!

Old January 25th 18, 06:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

Default Time to get serious.. and back on topic!

Now, even better than light pollution!??!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ydae2tul

Aren't disco mirror balls so yesterday? ;-)
Old January 25th 18, 07:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 11:33:41 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
Now, even better than light pollution!??!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ydae2tul

Aren't disco mirror balls so yesterday? ;-)

Ah, you mentioned it first. But your link is paywalled.

John Savard
Old January 25th 18, 08:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

On 25/01/2018 07:03, Quadibloc wrote:
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 11:33:41 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
Now, even better than light pollution!??!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ydae2tul

Aren't disco mirror balls so yesterday? ;-)

Ah, you mentioned it first. But your link is paywalled.

Odd.. it isn't paywalled from outside the USA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d5aac627e8c5

Direct link to the picture of it:
https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/im...EeiGuYkIdDx53Q

The actual project link:

http://www.thehumanitystar.com/

I reckon he would be better off launching a silver plated weather
balloons into orbit to achieve the same objective with less mass.

My instinct is that it won't be as bright as he hopes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 25th 18, 11:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 09:33:48 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/01/2018 07:03, Quadibloc wrote:
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 11:33:41 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
Now, even better than light pollution!??!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ydae2tul

Aren't disco mirror balls so yesterday? ;-)

Ah, you mentioned it first. But your link is paywalled.

Odd.. it isn't paywalled from outside the USA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d5aac627e8c5

Direct link to the picture of it:
https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/im...EeiGuYkIdDx53Q

The actual project link:

http://www.thehumanitystar.com/

I reckon he would be better off launching a silver plated weather
balloons into orbit to achieve the same objective with less mass.

My instinct is that it won't be as bright as he hopes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Not paywalled here in Dk.

I believe a smooth sphere would have very poor reflective qualities compared with flat, polished facets. The reflected, virtual image of the Sun in a smoothly convex surface is very small with little intensity. While even bare glass from [say] a greenhouse roof can be blinding from miles away.
Old January 25th 18, 03:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 08:33:45 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

My instinct is that it won't be as bright as he hopes.

Iridium flares are caused by the reflection of sunlight off an
approximately 2 square meter polished metal surface. Here we have a
much smaller surface, but probably a bit more reflective. Seems to me
that its flares will be less than the brightest ones seen from Iridium
satellites, but maybe more eye catching because of their rapid
variation.
Old January 25th 18, 04:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 01:33:41 UTC-5, Chris.B wrote:
Now, even better than light pollution!??!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ydae2tul

Aren't disco mirror balls so yesterday? ;-)

Guy is a moron.
Old January 25th 18, 07:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill[_9_]

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 08:06:05 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 01:33:41 UTC-5, Chris.B wrote:
Now, even better than light pollution!??!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ydae2tul

Aren't disco mirror balls so yesterday? ;-)

Guy is a moron.

IMO, the whole idea is a waste.
Oh look! A pretty shiney!

What a compelling lesson it offers... teaching/reminding people about
the fragile nature of our World - NOT!
--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old January 26th 18, 08:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 20:46:26 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 08:06:05 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 01:33:41 UTC-5, Chris.B wrote:
Now, even better than light pollution!??!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ydae2tul

Aren't disco mirror balls so yesterday? ;-)

Guy is a moron.

IMO, the whole idea is a waste.
Oh look! A pretty shiney!

What a compelling lesson it offers... teaching/reminding people about
the fragile nature of our World - NOT!
--

Not sure about that.
What if it gets people to look up for a few moments from their mobile phones?

FROM UNIVERSAL TIME TO LOCAL TIME AND BACK Pentcho Valev Astronomy Misc 0 July 20th 12 05:04 PM
back in time [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 10 October 20th 06 07:48 PM
Back in time? Claude Misc 4 August 30th 06 09:25 AM
Apollo 9 question (was: Will we ever get this group back on topic?) OM History 1 May 14th 04 10:49 AM
USGS & earthquakes -- back on topic on Mars! Thad Floryan Amateur Astronomy 2 February 8th 04 05:13 AM