NASA To Announce New Exo-Planet Kepler Survey Results

Old December 12th 17, 04:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default NASA To Announce New Exo-Planet Kepler Survey Results

On Thursday Dec. 14th NASA plans to announce the latest exo-planet
survey results using the Kepler Telescope.

The new wrinkle here is that Google machine learning AI was employed to
help with these newest discoveries.

It will be interesting to see if we not only get new planets in the
"Goldilocks Zone" but also of proper mass density for gravity close to
1g. In the past some of the most promising planet candidates have had
proposed gravity of up to 2g. All other things being equal, I suppose it
would be like living on Superman's home world of Krypton!*

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...ler-discovery/

Dave

*A digression: As the DC comic was originally intended. Superman had
super-strength due to evolving on a planet with much higher gravity than
Earth which also accounted for a "higher molecular density", something
akin to Mill's largely discredited Hydrino Theory. He could make amazing
leaps, but in the original story, flying was right out. Also the bullet
resistance was a feature of the costume not the man. At least IIRC the
original story which tried to adhere a little closer to the known
science of the 1930s. Which is why I like it so much.

Old December 12th 17, 04:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 12/12/2017 10:31 AM, David Spain wrote:
On Thursday Dec. 14th NASA plans to announce the latest exo-planet
survey results using the Kepler Telescope.

The new wrinkle here is that Google machine learning AI was employed to
help with these newest discoveries.

It will be interesting to see if we not only get new planets in the
"Goldilocks Zone" but also of proper mass density for gravity close to
1g. In the past some of the most promising planet candidates have had
proposed gravity of up to 2g. All other things being equal, I suppose it
would be like living on Superman's home world of Krypton!*

Can anyone comment on how NASA came up with gravity estimates for past
exo-planet discoveries? It's not just mass that matters but density.

I suppose it's possible to estimate mass if you have a good
approximation of the the home star's mass and the orbital period of the
planet, but how about density? Is that largely an assumption based on
what we seen in our own solar system, or is it something that can be
revealed via observation? I could see spectral black body emission as
one way to determine a planet's composition, but I would think that is
beyond Kepler's ability?

Dave

Old December 14th 17, 02:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 12/12/2017 10:31 AM, David Spain wrote:
On Thursday Dec. 14th NASA plans to announce the latest exo-planet
survey results using the Kepler Telescope.

Today at 1pm EST USA. Live stream:

https://www.nasa.gov/live

Kepler Info:

https://www.nasa.gov/kepler

Dave
Old December 14th 17, 07:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

8th planet found in Kepler-90 system (Kepler-90i). Matching number of
planets in our own for the first time.

Dave

Old December 14th 17, 07:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 12/14/2017 1:19 PM, David Spain wrote:
8th planet found in Kepler-90 system (Kepler-90i). Matching number of
planets in our own for the first time.

Dave

Also not a "Goldilocks" planet. Likely no atmosphere and too hot.

Dave

Old December 14th 17, 07:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 12/12/2017 10:31 AM, David Spain wrote:
On Thursday Dec. 14th NASA plans to announce the latest exo-planet
survey results using the Kepler Telescope.

The new wrinkle here is that Google machine learning AI was employed
to help with these newest discoveries.

Machine learning was used to search a much larger number of signals
through Kepler data than humans could in the same amount of time.

Given results from Kepler-90, there are probably more discoveries extant
in the Kepler data. Assuming there is funding available to provide the
computer time. A good candidate for BOINC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkel...work_Computing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...uting_projects

All code in Google in TensorFlow will be released soon.

Dave