A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Astronomy and Astrophysics » Amateur Astronomy
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

cave astrola scopes

Old August 30th 16, 10:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default cave astrola scopes

My astronomy club has a 16 inch cave astrola. I would like to fix or improve the drive but need schematics and or manual. Does anyone have their manual?
Ted
Old January 30th 18, 09:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 5:35:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My astronomy club has a 16 inch cave astrola. I would like to fix or improve the drive but need schematics and or manual. Does anyone have their manual?
Ted

Hey Ted,
Most any good machine shop can improve your clock drive and mount..There are plenty of articles and books on the subject of clock drives..I say this because the only sticking point you'll have is obtaining and configuring the correct gears and clock motor...the price for these components is negligible...hooking it all up will be your only stumbling block..good luck....Jim Lawrence
Old January 30th 18, 10:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jim lawrence
external usenet poster

Ted

One other quick note: that 16" telescope and mounting are about as close to a real observatory that most amateurs and astronomy clubs will ever get. A 16" Newtonian (providing the optics are good) is a fine instrument that blows away both the C-14 and its Meade 16" counterpart.
Old January 31st 18, 02:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 04:00:10 UTC-5, jim lawrence wrote:
Ted

One other quick note: that 16" telescope and mounting are about as close to a real observatory that most amateurs and astronomy clubs will ever get. A 16" Newtonian (providing the optics are good) is a fine instrument that blows away both the C-14 and its Meade 16" counterpart.

Maybe. Just because it's large and imposing doesn't = professional. Also, a Newtonian should theoretically (on-axis) outperform an SCT but it's not guaranteed. Especially in the old days when hand-work was used on mirrors.