ASTRO: M51 reprocessed

Old February 19th 08, 07:04 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default ASTRO: M51 reprocessed

Friends are telling me my posts of late aren't propagating to them. Not one got my post of the Hercules Galaxy Cluster and only a couple got the triple asteroid shot. Half got one or the other of the Hind's Variable nebula shot. Only one got both versions. Yet all made it the Space Banter website that mirrors this group.
http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

So I signed up and am trying posting through it. Maybe this will get through to more news servers. For some reason I had a heck of a hard time getting it to upload an image for posting. I've been trying all day and now it appears to work. But I had to use my wife's XP machine. Maybe it doesn't like W2K.

When I registered to post it wouldn't allow me to use my name so not sure what will appear in the name field. Probably my user name. I tried several based on my name but none were allowed either. Too common I suppose.

Anyway this is the same M51 I posted last year but completely reprocessed. I never was happy with the color balance and noise in the first attempt. I now am better at color balance and digging into the noise so decided with all the clouds to give it another try.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=6x10', RGB =2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M51L6X10RGB2X10-5.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	1698
Old February 19th 08, 07:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Mozes this is a great picture! wow..
very good details, even the faint galaxies are visible in the back.

--
Dirk

Old February 19th 08, 09:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:04:48 +0000, WA0CKY
wrote:

[...]

This is the first post I've seen from you in here, unless you've
changed your name.
--
This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

A golfer hits a wicked slice off the tee that ricochets through the trees and into the next fairway narrowly missing another golfer.
When the first golfer gets to his ball, he is greeted by his unintended victim who angrily tells him of the near miss.
"I'm sorry, I didn't have time to yell fore," says the first golfer.
"That's funny" replies the second, "you had plenty of time to yell OH, ****!"
Old February 19th 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Azz

Looking at the equipment and what images have been mentioned being posted
previously, it is Rick Johnson.
Very impressive image again Rick. The posts you mentioned all showed up
on my news server, here in the UK. I've become more of an armchair
astronomer that a practising amateur astronomer.

Regards

Azz

http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

****!"

Old February 20th 08, 04:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I tried posting through the link shown above. For some reason the news
servers some friends and relatives use to monitor my images haven't been
picking up the posts. Most are in Nebraska and California. Guess it
gets over the pond just fine. Anyway that site allows only one "Rick
Johnson" and that wasn't me. So I used my prefix on the email address
figuring that should do the trick. Guess not. But my main computer
can't seem to upload an image to that site. It's the one that shows me
the image calibrated to Photoshop to be sure I've got everything just
right. The monitor Photoshop is on refuses to calibrate perfectly and
can suppress green even though PS says it is right. I see now that I
see it on my better monitor that I still have a bit too much green in
it. Hmmm. Back to the processing computer.

Rick

Old February 20th 08, 05:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

I don't think I was missing any post... I signed up but it won't let me
post???

WA0CKY wrote:

http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

So I signed up and am trying posting through it.

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old February 20th 08, 09:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker

In that case I'm getting all his posts.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:19:03 -0000, "Azz"
wrote:

Looking at the equipment and what images have been mentioned being posted
previously, it is Rick Johnson.
Very impressive image again Rick. The posts you mentioned all showed up
on my news server, here in the UK. I've become more of an armchair
astronomer that a practising amateur astronomer.

Regards

Azz

.. .
wrote:

[...]

The New York Times, among other papers, recently published a new Hubble photograph of distant galaxies colliding.
Of course, astronomers have had pictures of colliding galaxies for quite some time now, but with the vastly improved resolution provided by the Hubble Space Telescope, you can actually see the lawyers rushing to the scene...

Old February 23rd 08, 08:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

The re reprocessed version has better color balance. It took a while to
hit Spacebanter.

Rick