Explore Scientific 12" f/5 Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope

Old December 30th 16, 01:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Explore Scientific 12" f/5 Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope

Any one has experience using this portable DOB?
How good is it?
Thx!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l/prm/alsVwDtl
Old December 30th 16, 03:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 4:50:22 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
Any one has experience using this portable DOB?
How good is it?
Thx!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l/prm/alsVwDtl

I don't know anything about this particular telescope, but I've known the owner of Explore Scientific, Scott Roberts, for many years, and I know about some of their other telescopes. One of these days I'm going to buy this one...

http://explorescientificusa.com/prod...utov-newtonian

.... because I really like rich field telescopes, and this one is great, and also very reasonable. I plan on mounting it on my 25"dob. I observed using it one night and had a great time, nice views.

Here is a review for you to peruse...

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/55...5mm-12-review/

.... but it is just one guy's opinion.
Old December 30th 16, 09:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 30 December 2016 01:50:22 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
Any one has experience using this portable DOB?
How good is it?
Thx!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l/prm/alsVwDtl

The description is rather "woolly."

Here's a hands-on CN review and discussion thread:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/54...-12-dobsonian/

Some minor[?] mechanical "difficulties" but capable of being improved by those with the necessary skill.
[I only skimmed over the thread.]

Old December 30th 16, 10:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 6:01:13 PM UTC-8, palsing wrote:
On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 4:50:22 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
Any one has experience using this portable DOB?
How good is it?
Thx!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l/prm/alsVwDtl

I don't know anything about this particular telescope, but I've known the owner of Explore Scientific, Scott Roberts, for many years, and I know about some of their other telescopes. One of these days I'm going to buy this one...

http://explorescientificusa.com/prod...utov-newtonian

... because I really like rich field telescopes, and this one is great, and also very reasonable. I plan on mounting it on my 25"dob. I observed using it one night and had a great time, nice views.

Here is a review for you to peruse...

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/55...5mm-12-review/

... but it is just one guy's opinion.

Nice 6" telescope!
Would it replace my 4" APO?
Old December 30th 16, 11:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 30 December 2016 10:26:08 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

Nice 6" telescope!
Would it replace my 4" APO?

The answer to that question is really not that simple.
You need to consider what the instrument will mostly be used for:

High powered views of Solar System objects?
Imaging?
Solar observation or imaging?
Deep sky?
Wide field?
Does your present mounting have the capacity for a larger, longer or heavier instrument?

Aperture [usually] rules in light gathering power and resolution.
A larger instrument will usually allow higher magnifications, brighter views and finer detail to be seen by a practiced eye.
The APO has no central obstruction as does a Newtonian.
The APO is largely maintenance free over a long period of time.
It is convenient for quick views.
Reflecting surfaces may be affected by a marine atmosphere.
Dewing up of the optics may be an issue.
The reflector usually needs its collimation tweaking if clumsily carried outside.
Cooling issues may matter if the instrument is stored in centrally heated accommodation and brought out into the cold.

Selling an instrument [cheaply] just to buy another may not be as wise as you hoped.
You may well regret it for years afterwards.
As you can see, there is no simple answer to your question.
Old December 31st 16, 02:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

[...]

I use to own a Russian 6" MakCas, it had very nice views, but very long focus length f\13?, over 30% CO. Very good for planets, if the seeing was good.
Wonder how this wide field Mak-Newt would perform on planets?
Of course, like any short f ratio telescope, needs HQ eyepieces.

Old December 31st 16, 03:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

[...]

Looks like it has big CO, some 30%?
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/039...g?v=1464763320

vs.

Argonautâ„¢ 6" (15cm) Maksutov-Newtonian Telescope
http://www.company7.com/orion/graphi...ont218x144.jpg

19% CO!
Old December 31st 16, 03:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 5:32:56 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
[...]

I don't think you can expect much from a rich field telescope when observing planets, they just don't provide much image scale. Sure, you can see the planets, but they are just tiny in the eyepiece, and if you try to increase the power, well, things break down at really high magnitude, IMHO.

On the other hand, with a proper filter, you can see the entire Veil Nebula, which is about 3° across! Scanning the skies with such a telescope is just amazing, I don't know how else to put it!

My main scope is a 25" f5 dob, which provides amazing views of many objects, but it can't match a rich field fast telescope for those wide, wide views..

\Paul A
Old December 31st 16, 07:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 6:13:55 PM UTC-8, palsing wrote:
[...]

That's advantage of APO refractors, it can be used as a wide field scope or high power for planets. I have an 80mm /f6.5 APO refractor made by Celestron. Very nice scope, very portable!
With my Pentax 2" 40 mm 65 deg eyepiece I can get over 5 deg FOV, all most like a binocular FOV. Also, it's like a finder too! Also, with my 5 mm eye piece gives me 100x power, using a 2x barlow 200x power, assuming eyepieces, barlow, diagonal are HQ! My stuff is Televue, even my 8-24 zoom eyepiece!
Old December 31st 16, 02:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 9:13:55 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:

I don't think you can expect much from a rich field telescope when observing
planets, they just don't provide much image scale.

I saw the polar cap/hood on Mars in my finder a few years back, verified by the view through the main scope. YMMV.

And it's actually "richest field telescope," but who's splitting hairs, right?