Comrades! Death to the hooligan asteroid!

Old December 30th 09, 09:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Comrades! Death to the hooligan asteroid!

This is right over the top; Russia says it has a project to deflect
Apophis before it can hit Earth in 2036:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...oUJPLcI7Ak38aw
....and of course they want other countries to give them money so they
can implement this plan.
Comrade C. Little is in fine capitalist form, considering the odds of it
impacting are presently 1 in 250,000.
But if it did...
"The Apophis asteroid measures approximately 350 metres (1,150 feet) in
diameter and RIA Novosti news agency said that if it were to hit Earth
when it passes nearby in 2036 it would create a new desert the size of
France."
They don't say if that desert would _be in_ France though, although one
must concede that a lot of people wouldn't mind if it were, particularly
African and Arab desert nations who had to deal with the Foreign Legion
in the past. ;-)

Pat
Old December 30th 09, 09:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:
BTW, if you want to figure out what various sized objects impacting
Earth would do, this is where to go:
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

Pat
Old December 30th 09, 10:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alain Fournier[_2_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
This is right over the top; Russia says it has a project to deflect
Apophis before it can hit Earth in 2036:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...oUJPLcI7Ak38aw

...and of course they want other countries to give them money so they
can implement this plan.
Comrade C. Little is in fine capitalist form, considering the odds of it
impacting are presently 1 in 250,000.

It might be better to do a dress rehearsal when the odds of impact are
1 to 250,000 than to do it at a later time for another asteroid when we
have odds of impact to be 250,000 to 1.

Alain Fournier
Old December 30th 09, 10:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
American

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...MHSdrWginRoUJP...

...and of course they want other countries to give them money so they
can implement this plan.
Comrade C. Little is in fine capitalist form, considering the odds of it
impacting are presently 1 in 250,000.

It might be better to do a dress rehearsal when the odds of impact are
1 to 250,000 than to do it at a later time for another asteroid when we
have odds of impact to be 250,000 to 1.

Alain Fournier

It has been estimated that there will be around 10 billion people
living on the earth by the year 2030.

If the Russians are that serious about getting funding for this
operation, just go ahead “CAN THE EARTH” because ALGORE says it’ll be
too late anyway, and while we wait for results from the Kepler survey
to come in, go full bore interstellar while we’ve still got the time
to develop the technology.

- better yet, just mine the damn thing while it swings in close enough
for the job.

American

This is not an endorsement of HR3962 or any reasonable facsimile
thereof, for either now or any time within the next 20 years.
Old December 31st 09, 02:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Sylvia Else

Pat Flannery wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...oUJPLcI7Ak38aw

"closer than some geo-stationary satellites" ?

Geo-stationary satellites operate at varying distances?

Sylvia.
Old December 31st 09, 03:21 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Val Kraut

Comrade C. Little is in fine capitalist form, considering the odds of it
impacting are presently 1 in 250,000.

So they got something that ain't broke and they're gonna fix it.

It's a good thing the Russians have never had a failure in space otherwise
I'd worry they could make the odds more like 1 in 2.5. Sounds like a
dangerous experiment - oh no our foreign partners meant feet/sec!!! Saturday
Night Live could have a field day with this. Might be better to invest in a
cure for an imaginary plague that isn't going to happen, or feeding the
starving population of a country that doesn't exist.

Old December 31st 09, 03:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
shywon

On Dec 30, 8:21*pm, "Val Kraut" wrote:
Comrade C. Little is in fine capitalist form, considering the odds of it
impacting are presently 1 in 250,000.

So they got something that ain't broke and they're gonna fix it.

*It's a good thing the Russians have never had a failure in space otherwise
I'd worry they could make the odds more like 1 in 2.5. Sounds like a
dangerous experiment - oh no our foreign partners meant feet/sec!!! Saturday
Night Live could have a field day with this. Might be better to invest in a
cure for an imaginary plague that isn't going to happen, or feeding the
starving population of a country that doesn't exist.

The Russians plan to move it so it impacts the United States...Nuke em
now!
Old December 31st 09, 04:24 AM posted to sci.space.history
Val Kraut

The Russians plan to move it so it impacts the United States...Nuke em
now!

Make a nice plot for a new James Bond novel. All we need is a catchy title
(From Russia with Love has already been used unfortunately) and the name of
the female lead - something like Heaven Lee Body.

Old December 31st 09, 04:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jonathan

"Val Kraut" wrote in message

Comrade C. Little is in fine capitalist form, considering the odds of it
impacting are presently 1 in 250,000.

So they got something that ain't broke and they're gonna fix it.

It's a good thing the Russians have never had a failure in space otherwise I'd
worry they could make the odds more like 1 in 2.5. Sounds like a dangerous
experiment - oh no our foreign partners meant feet/sec!!! Saturday Night Live
could have a field day with this. Might be better to invest in a cure for an
imaginary plague that isn't going to happen, or feeding the starving
population of a country that doesn't exist.

The article said if it hits, it'll turn all of France into a desert.

So shouldn't we try moving into it's path?

Old December 31st 09, 05:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Frogwatch

On Dec 30, 10:57*pm, J0nathan Non Grata wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote:
So shouldn't we try moving into it's path?

Please. Would you?

Like before you post again?

Better idea, put it into an orbit that has it just a bit before or
after the earth in the same orbit. That way, its relative velocity is
very low and we can use it for material for making stuff in space.
See one of my old posts concerning solar thermal evaporation of
asteroidal materials to refine materials and to form the vapor
deposited materialonto substrates as foils.