What made "2001" a "great" SF film?

Old February 26th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.movies,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default What made "2001" a "great" SF film?

In message t,
said:

--SNIP--
I don't think that 2001 was intended to be shown as Cinerama (if
you mean the original 3-strip version) - just plain 70mm.

Wrong.
I saw "2001" in what was called "Cinerama" first-run in 1968 in a movie
theater in midtown Manhattan. It hadn't been filmed in the classic
Cinerama format, but a special one-time format using a single camera
with an anamorphic lens. Actually more like Cinemascope than Cinerama.
But it had the wide curved wrap-around screen and that was cool.

But most movie theaters couldn't show Cinemascope-type movies, so it was
simultaneously released in 70 mm Super Panavision too, and that was the
format most theaters were showing it in.

At the time, most theatres *could* show CinemaScope movies, at
least on 35mm. If you meant anamorphic 70mm, I agree with you.

I think you will find that the 70mm Super Panavision process you
mention used an anamorphic lens on 65mm film for shooting and 70mm
projection, though I can't recall whether it was 2:1 compression
like CinemaScope or 1.5:1 like one of the Technicolor systems
(?Technirama?). The deep-curved screen was also used for the
so-called D-150 process a little later (I saw the original Star
Wars on that at the Odeon, Marble Arch). But just because they
called it "Cinerama", or showed it on a Cinerama-type screen,
doesn't make it so!

Regards, /Peter/