Red Tesla Roadster mounted on PLA

Old December 22nd 17, 11:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Red Tesla Roadster mounted on PLA

There is a picture of a Red Tesla Roadster mounted on PLA circulating on
Twitter. I can't find it on either the SpaceX or Elon Musk Twitter
accounts, so this might be a real photo that has been leaked. At first
glance, it doesn't look Photoshopped. To get it to fit in the fairing,
the nose of the car is tilted up (maybe 30 or so degrees), making it
look like it's "taking off". Looks like it's mounted quite firmly to
the bottom frame of the car (I believe that's where the battery pack
is/was, so it ought to be the strongest area of the car).

It's looking like Musk is seriously launching an actual car into space.
Well, that'll be a first for the record books.

Jeff
Old December 22nd 17, 10:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Jeff Findley wrote:

There is a picture of a Red Tesla Roadster mounted on PLA circulating on
Twitter. I can't find it on either the SpaceX or Elon Musk Twitter
accounts, so this might be a real photo that has been leaked. At first
glance, it doesn't look Photoshopped. To get it to fit in the fairing,
the nose of the car is tilted up (maybe 30 or so degrees), making it
look like it's "taking off". Looks like it's mounted quite firmly to
the bottom frame of the car (I believe that's where the battery pack
is/was, so it ought to be the strongest area of the car).

It's looking like Musk is seriously launching an actual car into space.
Well, that'll be a first for the record books.

Verge just published a story today with the picture and they're
reporting that the car is going to be launched.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old December 24th 17, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 12/22/2017 4:58 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:

There is a picture of a Red Tesla Roadster mounted on PLA circulating on
Twitter. I can't find it on either the SpaceX or Elon Musk Twitter
accounts, so this might be a real photo that has been leaked. At first
glance, it doesn't look Photoshopped. To get it to fit in the fairing,
the nose of the car is tilted up (maybe 30 or so degrees), making it
look like it's "taking off". Looks like it's mounted quite firmly to
the bottom frame of the car (I believe that's where the battery pack
is/was, so it ought to be the strongest area of the car).

It's looking like Musk is seriously launching an actual car into space.
Well, that'll be a first for the record books.

Verge just published a story today with the picture and they're
reporting that the car is going to be launched.

Okay, based on The Verge story I will have to amend my previous posting
about this being a "hoax". I rescind my previous posting and make amends
here...

This photo seems like too much trouble to be faked:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/22/...s-falcon-heavy

Story is that this will be launched into Mars orbit, if F9H doesn't go
boom first.

The faring detail in very interesting. Looks like the are using acoustic
panels in their fairings as opposed to ULA's Atlas-5 using various
"cone" like structures for acoustic damping as shown he

http://spacevids.tv/wp-content/flaga...v_aehf2_e5.jpg

Also note the gas canisters located at three points along the base of
the fairing on the right. Part of the fairing separation mechanism?

The complexity of the SpaceX fairing in comparison to the ULA one, makes
it little wonder why they want to recover them. I wonder how well these
components hold up to sea water? Lots of aluminum?

Dave
Old December 24th 17, 04:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 12/24/2017 10:00 AM, David Spain wrote: Story is that this will be
launched into Mars orbit, if F9H doesn't go boom first.
Amend this. I meant to say Mars co-orbit. In other words to be launched
into the same orbit around the sun as Mars occupies. NOT in orbit around
Mars

The faring detail i[s] very interesting.

Best part of the photo from Elon. Much more interesting than the Tesla.

Dave
Old December 24th 17, 04:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 12/24/2017 10:00 AM, David Spain wrote:
The faring detail in very interesting. Looks like the are using acoustic
panels in their fairings as opposed to ULA's Atlas-5 using various
"cone" like structures for acoustic damping as shown he

Make that hollow cylindrical structures.

Dave

Old December 24th 17, 04:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 12/22/2017 5:55 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
To get it to fit in the fairing,
the nose of the car is tilted up (maybe 30 or so degrees), making it
look like it's "taking off". Looks like it's mounted quite firmly to
the bottom frame of the car (I believe that's where the battery pack
is/was, so it ought to be the strongest area of the car).

Yeah I would expect that the Li ion battery pack is probably not
"space-rated" and would be wisely left out...

How do car tires deal with space vacuum? Is it launched with them
largely under-inflated? I'd expect they'd "go flat" anyway eventually.

Looks like a convertible, so no need to worry about keeping the windows
rolled down. (That's a joke. Well, unless he was launching an early 60's
version of a Volkswagen Beetle! Closing the doors in one of those
routinely made my ears pop!).

Dave

Old December 24th 17, 05:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Dec/24/2017 at 10:29 AM, David Spain wrote :
On 12/22/2017 5:55 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
Â* To get it to fit in the fairing,
the nose of the car is tilted up (maybe 30 or so degrees), making it
look like it's "taking off".Â* Looks like it's mounted quite firmly to
the bottom frame of the car (I believe that's where the battery pack
is/was, so it ought to be the strongest area of the car).

Yeah I would expect that the Li ion battery pack is probably not
"space-rated" and would be wisely left out...

How do car tires deal with space vacuum? Is it launched with them
largely under-inflated? I'd expect they'd "go flat" anyway eventually.

Looks like a convertible, so no need to worry about keeping the windows
rolled down. (That's a joke. Well, unless he was launching an early 60's
version of a Volkswagen Beetle! Closing the doors in one of those
routinely made my ears pop!).

Dave

I hope they will have a copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
and a towel in that car.

Alain Fournier
Old December 24th 17, 05:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Alain Fournier" wrote in message news

[...]

Damn it. I wish I had thought of that first. I love it!

Alain Fournier

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/

Old December 24th 17, 10:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On 2017-12-24 10:29, David Spain wrote:

How do car tires deal with space vacuum? Is it launched with them
largely under-inflated? I'd expect they'd "go flat" anyway eventually.

Add 14.7psi to the pressure the tires must sustain when environment
around them is 0psi.

The cold and heat may have greater effect on the rubber though.

Looks like a convertible, so no need to worry about keeping the windows
rolled down.

I would have hoped he would have had a "closed" car with air vents
plugged up to see how long any pressure can be maintained in the car.

Clearly, that would be a very short time. Car windows aren't sealed
air-tight.

Alain Fournier