Veil Nebula Closeup

Old September 15th 17, 04:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

Default Veil Nebula Closeup

Summer is drawing to an end and Cygnus is straight overhead during the night. This may be the best time to observe the Veil nebula, which has 3 bright parts and can be seen in 70mm binoculars on a dark night. Large aperture telescopes show many knots and streamers, especially if you use a nebula filter. Here is a closeup of one of the 3 parts, taken with a 17" telescope:

https://www.astromart.com/common/ima...6.jpg&caption=

Razzy
Old September 15th 17, 04:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 8:01:20 PM UTC-7, Razzmatazz wrote:

Summer is drawing to an end and Cygnus is straight overhead during the night. This may be the best time to observe the Veil nebula, which has 3 bright parts and can be seen in 70mm binoculars on a dark night. Large aperture telescopes show many knots and streamers, especially if you use a nebula filter. Here is a closeup of one of the 3 parts, taken with a 17" telescope:

https://www.astromart.com/common/ima...6.jpg&caption=

Razzy

Very nice!

The bright star is 52 Cyg, a double star, mags 4.2-9.5, separation 6.4", and it is very obvious when viewed without a nebular filter. With a filter it is difficult.

Too bad that such close doubles never seem to photograph well, it would sure add 'pop' to the photo.
Old September 15th 17, 09:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 8:01:20 PM UTC-7, Razzmatazz wrote:
Summer is drawing to an end and Cygnus is straight overhead during the night. This may be the best time to observe the Veil nebula, which has 3 bright parts and can be seen in 70mm binoculars on a dark night. Large aperture telescopes show many knots and streamers, especially if you use a nebula filter. Here is a closeup of one of the 3 parts, taken with a 17" telescope:

https://www.astromart.com/common/ima...6.jpg&caption=

Razzy

Nice picture!
But, from my backyard, can't even see the Orion Nebula on a Moonless night, soooooo much light pollution around me.
F*** humans, waste so much energy for what, to light up the sky?
US's using 19 million barrel of oil per day!
I bet most of you big thinker, scientist can't even imagine how much oil is that?
Figure it out, 1 barrel(oil) = 42 gallon
1 of those gasoline trucks /w trailers, can hull 12450 gal.
From a truckers mouth:
With our truck and trailers the power unit was the max in length with a drawbar extended to meet the bridge law. Then we would pull a trailer that was around 35' long. So you had the power unit with a tank mounted on it in approx. 30', and drawbar 20' and then a 35' trailer. We were permitted up to 105,000lbs and over all length of 85". We'd load 12,450 gallons and would be right up close to max.

If my math is right, 19 million barrel of oil would fit on 64096 trucks at 85 feet long each.
So, line up all these trucks, bumper to bumper , would be 1032 miles long.
That's how much oil we use per day here in the US, 64096 trucks!
Now add Europe 12 million barrel and China 7.5 million barrel oil, one can chain up another 1032 mile trucks bumper to bumper,
I just try to give some visualization how much 19 million barrel of oil/day looks like.
If some one has a better way to visualize it, I'm all ears and eye.

Old September 17th 17, 11:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 1:39:18 AM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
[...]

From a truckers mouth:
[...]

How much oil does a tanker ship hold?

The largest tankers trading today are comparable in size and can carry up to 2 million barrels of oil

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-223713_v2.jpg
9 super tanker can hold 19 million barrel of oil, which is only 1 day oil needs of the USA!
Wonder, why we have Global warming?