A Couple of Eclipse Photos

Old August 24th 17, 07:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default A Couple of Eclipse Photos

Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 24th 17, 08:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Nice!
Old August 24th 17, 09:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 24 August 2017 08:32:26 UTC+2, Davoud wrote:
Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Well done, David!

You [and your wife] take some superb pictures and videos.

And both having a lot of fun too. )
Old August 24th 17, 06:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_6_]

Davoud:
Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

Chris.B:
Well done, David!

You [and your wife] take some superb pictures and videos.

And both having a lot of fun too. )

Thank you again. Sometimes having fun can be such hard work! :-)
Old August 28th 17, 02:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 02:32:22 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

Glad the weather cooperated for you! It looked a bit touch-and-go for
the more eastern part of the path.

I've got some of my initial image processing finished from my trip to
Wyoming (where the weather also cooperated). The tale is posted at
http://www.cloudbait.com/gallery/sol...1_eclipse.html. I had a
fairly complicated imaging plan, which went flawlessly while still
allowing me to devote almost all my attention to the visual
experience. Only seven more years to the next!
Old August 28th 17, 03:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 6:36:41 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 02:32:22 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

Glad the weather cooperated for you! It looked a bit touch-and-go for
the more eastern part of the path.

I've got some of my initial image processing finished from my trip to
Wyoming (where the weather also cooperated). The tale is posted at
http://www.cloudbait.com/gallery/sol...1_eclipse.html. I had a
fairly complicated imaging plan, which went flawlessly while still
allowing me to devote almost all my attention to the visual
experience. Only seven more years to the next!

All that preparation and practice sure paid off for you, very nice results.
Old August 28th 17, 04:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
Made by my wife and me in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/

And additional photos posted at https://adobe.ly/2wlhLS2 include two
by our friend and imaging partner, an RAF pilot who flew in from the
Persian Gulf for the event.

Chris L Peterson:
Glad the weather cooperated for you! It looked a bit touch-and-go for
the more eastern part of the path.

I've got some of my initial image processing finished from my trip to
Wyoming (where the weather also cooperated). The tale is posted at
http://www.cloudbait.com/gallery/sol...1_eclipse.html. I had a
fairly complicated imaging plan, which went flawlessly while still
allowing me to devote almost all my attention to the visual
experience. Only seven more years to the next!

Top drawer! Do you think that your viewing site was remote enough? I
had decided long ago to set up in the good-sized grassy strip in front
our our hotel, which we named "the grassy knoll
http://tinyurl.com/oureclipseplace. There were maybe 50 people there
from more than a dozen countries (Trump's nightmare) and it was a great
social occasion as well, not at all crowded. And there was food and
drink available from the hotel.

My partner used a Canon 7D Mark II tethered to a MacBook Pro, and a
Canon zoom with an EFL of 640mm. His plan was simple and also
flawlessly scripted, with HDR throughout. It went beautifully. He used
my iOptron iEQ45 with a Hinode solar tracker. With a decent daytime
polar alignment he didn't have to make a single correction throughout.
His images around and during totality are stunningly good. We had 2m
32s of totality.

My own scheme was more relaxed, with a Canon 6D (full-frame) on my
Questar, also tethered to a MacBook Pro. The Q lacks a solar tracking
rate (for shame, Questar!), but the handbox took care of corrections
easily enough.

Driving home was the worst part. There was a fatal accident on I-81N in
Virginia (one of the most dangerous stretches of Interstate in the
country). We avoided the 27-mile backup by exiting early and taking the
little-traveled I-77 north to I-64E. Still, our 11-hour trip required
nearly 16 hours.

The next one will be easier; I've got a friend who has a McMansion near
the centerline in Texas. We'll Fedex the heavy stuff to him and fly
down.

Thanks for sharing your great photos!

P.S. You banged up your URL slightly by omitting brackets; the period
following "html" was included.

Old August 28th 17, 05:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 23:34:54 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Top drawer! Do you think that your viewing site was remote enough? I
had decided long ago to set up in the good-sized grassy strip in front
our our hotel, which we named "the grassy knoll
http://tinyurl.com/oureclipseplace. There were maybe 50 people there
from more than a dozen countries (Trump's nightmare) and it was a great
social occasion as well, not at all crowded. And there was food and
drink available from the hotel.

Well, after a couple of days around hundreds of people at Astrocon, it
was relaxing to be by myself in the hills. But I was getting by on
nuts, jerky, and gallon jugs of water!

My partner used a Canon 7D Mark II tethered to a MacBook Pro...

My original plan had been to tether my 7D to a laptop and run an
imaging script, but then I discovered Magic Lantern, which let me run
the whole bracket sequence directly from the camera, which simplified
the whole setup, and in a situation like this, simpler is generally
better.

Driving home was the worst part.

For me, as well. I started back one way, which put me on a parking lot
I-25. So I turned around and drove back to where I started (Casper),
now more than three hours of driving invested. Headed south on smaller
roads, but still hit a nearly three hour delay. Didn't get home until
4am after 13 hours of driving (compared with 6 hours to get up there a
few days earlier). Oh well, it was certainly worth it.

P.S. You banged up your URL slightly by omitting brackets; the period
following "html" was included.

It seems to depend on the newsreader or mail client how that gets
handled. Seems to be fine in my reader (Agent). I usually remember to
stick an extra space in before the period, just in case.
Old August 28th 17, 11:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris L Peterson:
Well, after a couple of days around hundreds of people at Astrocon, it
was relaxing to be by myself in the hills. But I was getting by on
nuts, jerky, and gallon jugs of water!

It's not news to me that you western mountain dwellers are much hardier
than us eastern liberal elites. It's obvious from your photos that you
had a great location, but I couldn't be that far from the lobster
buffet or the bar*.

Furthermore, our hotel, the Hyatt House Nashville/Hendersonville, is a
very short walk from the burial place of Johnny Cash and June Carter
Cash, and I made a pilgrimage.

*I don't use alcohol and we had gallons of our own cold water.

Old August 29th 17, 10:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
hleopold

On Aug 27, 2017, Davoud wrote
(in article ):

Davoud:
[...]

David, great shots by both you and Peterson. Thank you, David, for pointing
out the extra period in Petersons’ link, I never noticed it and kept
getting an error message.

P.S. I liked the back of the t-shirt.

My eclipse day sucked, big time, It started out pretty good, high, thin
clouds... until about an hour short of the start, from that moment on the
clouds around the sun kept getting thicker, wider, and turned into a long
stream that fed into the suns’ location.

The only part that was note-worthy was totality, it got darker, crickets and
other insects started their music, birds got confused, my cat got weird (I
blame that on the birds) and everything took on a look of “tornado
weather.” I have seen more than my share of this and it would have fooled
me if I had not known what was going on at that minute.

Right up to the last minute it looked like we might just hold on to decent
weather long enough.

Location was Topeka, KS. I would have gone North about 40 miles but it looked
like the weather was going to be much worst there.

--
Harry F. Leopold
The Prints of Darkness (remove gene to email)

The Internet is full, we can not accept any more posts until further notice.
Thank you. - Kalinka Djnepropetrovska