Spotting scopes for astronomy?

Old August 23rd 17, 08:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Spotting scopes for astronomy?

Any one tried to use spotting scope for astronomy?
Does it work?
Some can be very expensive too, few grand or so!
If it works, what's the cons and pros using it?
Old August 23rd 17, 09:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

On 23/08/2017 08:24, StarDust wrote:
Any one tried to use spotting scope for astronomy?
Does it work?

Some of the ones favoured by birders can be quite good. The Aldi/Lidl UK
chains sometimes have quite passable 80mm spotting scopes for around the
£100 mark that are not at all bad for the price.

Some can be very expensive too, few grand or so!
If it works, what's the cons and pros using it?

Only snag is they are optimised for looking at the horizon or a few
degrees off it so you tend to get a crick in the neck. They are unlikely
to be truly diffraction limited but they are not all that far off.

Now that 1:3 zoom eyepiece designs are so well optimised I think they
are not such a bad choice as a general purpose scope.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old August 23rd 17, 06:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 1:01:54 AM UTC-7, Martin Brown wrote:
On 23/08/2017 08:24, StarDust wrote:
Any one tried to use spotting scope for astronomy?
Does it work?

Some of the ones favoured by birders can be quite good. The Aldi/Lidl UK
chains sometimes have quite passable 80mm spotting scopes for around the
£100 mark that are not at all bad for the price.

There are spotting scope for many thousands of $$$$'s!
Leica, Zeiss etc...
The Leica Apo-Televid 82 spotting scopes cost $3,899.00 for either the angled or straight body, and $900.00 for the 25-50 wide-angle, zoom eyepiece.. This is not a scope for the casual user who just wants to see something

http://www.optics4birding.com/leica-...pe-review.aspx

Old August 24th 17, 02:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 03:24:45 UTC-4, StarDust wrote:
Any one tried to use spotting scope for astronomy?
Does it work?
Some can be very expensive too, few grand or so!
If it works, what's the cons and pros using it?

None that I know do 90 degree viewing therefore, they are poorly-suited. From an optical standpoint, B&L Elite, Swarovski, Nikon ED (any kind), Leitz Apo Televid are all excellent. I used the 77mm objective out of a B&L Elite and it was nearly as good on planets as newer 2 element ED telescope. Plus, very fast, suitable for a telephoto, with a bit of field curvature.
Old August 24th 17, 03:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 6:39:44 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 03:24:45 UTC-4, StarDust wrote:
Any one tried to use spotting scope for astronomy?
Does it work?
Some can be very expensive too, few grand or so!
If it works, what's the cons and pros using it?

None that I know do 90 degree viewing therefore, they are poorly-suited. From an optical standpoint, B&L Elite, Swarovski, Nikon ED (any kind), Leitz Apo Televid are all excellent. I used the 77mm objective out of a B&L Elite and it was nearly as good on planets as newer 2 element ED telescope. Plus, very fast, suitable for a telephoto, with a bit of field curvature.

Well, I picked up a Meade 60 mm spotting scope on ebay for $25 over a year ago.It didn't have the zoom eyepiece, some one modified it to a single non-removable 25 mm Plossel eyepiece.
Monday, first time I used it on the eclipse, made a quick Badder solar filer for it. Had, very nice views of the eclipse and had many good compliment from others.
Next they, took it down to the lake and blow me away how well, sharp it showed distance objects miles away.
I never had a spotting scope before and being so small, light weight and versatile , I'm becoming a fan!
Old August 24th 17, 03:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 7:20:58 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
[...]

Now, I'm not saying a spotting scope can replace a good astronomical telescope, no way!
But it's soooo compact, cheap and easy to use!
Old August 24th 17, 03:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 12:24:45 AM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
Any one tried to use spotting scope for astronomy?
Does it work?
Some can be very expensive too, few grand or so!
If it works, what's the cons and pros using it?

Celestron Ultima 80mm spotting scope - SUN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF7Ad3nDSvo

It can show the Sunspots, while my 4" APO can show details in the sunspots.
Lighter, darker areas etc...!
Old August 24th 17, 08:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

I have an Orion 60mm spotting scope that I won at a star-party Saturday-night raffle...

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/...1/c/1/sc/16/p/

It has a 20x to 60x zoom, but although it is sharp at 20x, it is not so sharp at 60x. Nevertheless, it has a terrific feature, in that it converts from straight-through to 90°, or anywhere in-between, and the object under consideration stays nicely framed right in the center of the FOV.

I observed the amazing eclipse from Eastern Oregon, under perfect skies, and when fitted with a white-light solar filter, this little spotting scope gave very nice views both before, and after totality, and was one of the most popular instruments used by my little group of friends.

\Paul A