Toronto sto Efstonscience is history!!

Old July 2nd 12, 09:05 PM
Rayskipro Rayskipro is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
On 30/06/2012 19:23, Bert wrote:
In lal_truckee
wrote:

On 6/30/12 9:32 AM, Bert wrote:
So it's really "Internet saves another niche business."

Not really.
What a physical site offers is true browsing with tactile interface,

Which, apparently, was not of value to enough people.

Sadly what a lot of people do is go and visit the small shopkeeper, get
his skilled advice for free and play with his kit in store and then
*order* it online at a massive discount.

A lot of large high street stores these days just employ clueless
drudges anyway whose product knowledge is limited to the part number and
the lifting weight to get it off the shelf. It is sad to see the demise
of small shops but it seems inevitable as rents for physical bricks and
mortar shops increase and profitability falls.

which is now lost.
A "net presence" is one button push away from Amazon and can't
compete. So it's a temporary "save" at best.

Again, if enough people don't receive sufficient value from this outfit,
they're gone.

The trouble is that too many people exploit the goodwill of such outfits
and then go and buy the stuff online at a discount. You can hardly blame
them for cutting back a loss making part of the business.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old July 4th 12, 03:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_4_]

Default Toronto sto Efstonscience is history!!

"David Staup" wrote in
:

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:17:10 -0700, lal_truckee
wrote:

On 6/30/12 9:32 AM, Bert wrote:
So it's really "Internet saves another niche business."

Not really.

Yes, really. Obviously people place more value in the ability to
conveniently shop at home than in actually going to a
brick-and-mortar store. This is a societal change, and can hardly be
blamed on the Internet. A retailer who is unable to adjust his
business to changes in how people CHOOSE to shop will go out of
business. That's how things have always worked, and nothing has
changed in that respect because of the Internet.

I know that I'd much rather buy astronomical instruments online, and
I'm old enough that most of my life has been about shopping in
stores.

A "net presence" is one button push away from Amazon and can't
compete.

There are millions of thriving niche companies doing most of their
business on the Internet, and Amazon poses them no threat. They
thrive in large part because they can provide a degree of service
companies like Amazon can't. If I want a blender, Amazon is great.
But if I want a CCD camera or a quality astronomical telescope, I'm
going to look for somebody who specializes in those kind of things.

chuckle,
any dad (dad not just a father) with a kid showing interest knows what
is being lost here. But then I've never seen a liberal DAD.

They exist, but instead of extolling the virtues of an apochromat, they
launch into a tirade about the pollution generated by mining the rare
earth's to make the lens.

BRAINWASHED EVOLUTIoNIST SIMPLY CANNOT ACCEPT AS FACT THE GREATESTDISCOVERY IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY Nobel Foundation Astronomy Misc 1 February 6th 08 02:22 PM
ebay store Wayne . Astronomy Misc 0 December 25th 05 05:25 AM
Dollar Store Annonymous Account Astronomy Misc 0 November 6th 05 06:42 AM
Store Wars Rusty History 16 May 29th 05 10:02 AM
*HELL* Is In Store Pat O'Connell Amateur Astronomy 2 January 31st 05 07:16 AM