Quindar Tone Samples ?

Old November 21st 05, 10:34 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Quindar Tone Samples ?

Anyone got a source for .wav or .mp3 versions of the quindar tones ?

I'm looking for a pure(ish) sample, rather than having to cut it out
of the examples at http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi.../quindar2.html

IIRC, Gary Neff had a push, pull, and pushpull sample that he created
on his website (http://home.pacifier.com/~garyn/), but that site seems
to have gone off air. Does anyone have copies of them ?

I tried google, and searching the waybackwhen.org machine, but with
no real luck If anyone's got them, I'd sure appreciate a copy,
or url to download them from.

Iain
Old November 22nd 05, 12:08 AM posted to sci.space.history

Hi Iain,

Just found Gary Neff's quindars in my apollo audio folder, have put them
at the bottom of my audio webpage page

http://adboo.com/auto

Adam

Old November 22nd 05, 01:23 AM posted to sci.space.history

adam bootle wrote:

Hi Iain,

Just found Gary Neff's quindars in my apollo audio folder, have put them
at the bottom of my audio webpage page

http://adboo.com/auto

Sorry, but all I get at this page is a short Flash bit that plays over
an all-black page, and then nothing after that. This happens both in
Mozilla and IE.

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old November 22nd 05, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.history

mike flugennock wrote:

Sorry, but all I get at this page is a short Flash bit that plays over
an all-black page, and then nothing after that. This happens both in
Mozilla and IE.

It apparently uses a Java applet; with mine it appeared, disappeared,
then reappeared ready to go.
I'm using netscape 7.
Now I know the raw excitement of all three Quindar tones!
I'd never heard of these by name before; I take it these were the beeps
heard during the astronaut's communications with Earth.

Pat

Old November 22nd 05, 02:18 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:23:10 -0500, mike flugennock wrote:

adam bootle wrote:

http://adboo.com/auto

Sorry, but all I get at this page is a short Flash bit that plays over
an all-black page, and then nothing after that. This happens both in
Mozilla and IE.

Somebody designs a flash-based web
page in Windows and of course it
all ends in tears...

http://adboo.com/auto
http://adboo.com/auto/audio.htm --- best bet
http://adboo.com/auto/QuindarPush.wav
http://adboo.com/auto/QuindarRelease.wav
http://adboo.com/auto/QuindarPushRelease.wav

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?
Old November 22nd 05, 02:29 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:17:52 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote:

Now I know the raw excitement of all three Quindar tones!

"Errr... Doctor... You _are_ aware that
the "third tone" you hear on that page
is just the two quindar tones played in
sequence, yes?..."

Pat

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just lovable transgenic chimerae?"

Old November 22nd 05, 03:02 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:08:56 -0000, "adam bootle"
wrote:

Just found Gary Neff's quindars in my apollo audio folder,

....Somehow, that sounds a bit personal :-)

OM
--
]=======================================[
OMBlog - http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld
Old November 22nd 05, 06:11 AM posted to sci.space.history

Chuck Stewart wrote:

"Errr... Doctor... You _are_ aware that
the "third tone" you hear on that page
is just the two quindar tones played in
sequence, yes?..."

NO! IT IS DIFFERENT! ONE PLUS ONE EQUALS _TWO_!! AND TWO IS A DIFFERENT
NUMBER THAN TWO ONES!!!
AND THERE IS LIFE ON VENUS!!!! HOT, STINKING, SLIMY LIFE TO BE SURE -
BUT LIFE NONETHELESS!!!!

BIG PAT THING
Old November 22nd 05, 08:54 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:29:48 GMT, Chuck Stewart
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:17:52 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote:

Now I know the raw excitement of all three Quindar tones!

"Errr... Doctor... You _are_ aware that
the "third tone" you hear on that page
is just the two quindar tones played in
sequence, yes?..."

"And now...a man with a Quindar Tone up his nose!"

OM
--
]=======================================[
Old November 22nd 05, 03:07 PM posted to sci.space.history

adam bootle wrote:

http://adboo.com/auto

Sorry, but all I get at this page is a short Flash bit that plays over
an all-black page, and then nothing after that. This happens both in
Mozilla and IE.

Somebody designs a flash-based web
page in Windows and of course it
all ends in tears...

Aha! Java as well as JavaScript. Nothing personal to Adam, but this page
has every single potentially-most-annoying-and-dangerous feature a Web
page could have...except, of course none of it's annoying or dangerous,
except perhaps for the recording of Pete Conrad reading Gordon Cooper's
poetry (dangerous, that is). Still, I didn't think there'd be any
problem opening the page in OSX if it was designed under Windoze.

So, aaaa-aanyway...I've finally downloaded my coveted pure, clean,
noise-free "push quindar". Still, some weird thoughts...

....Am I the only one here who's somehow underwhelmed by the clean,
fresh, pure, noise-free quindar tones? I think part of the excitement of
those little pings was knowing that some of them were being transmitted
from a quarter-million miles out by the first humans on the Moon, so the
clean, pure, "original" version -- devoid of any background hiss or
crackling or other long-distance xmission noise -- seems robbed of its
excitement. So, anyway, I don't think it's just the _tone_ that's the
thing, here, it's the context we heard them in, "flavored" or "colored"
by the noise of radio xmissions from humans reading Genesis from the
Moon, or announcing the first human footsteps on the Moon, or waxing
poetic or singing for the first time on the Moon.

(On my G4 I have an .sfil of a quindar tone xmitted during Apollo 11
approach/landing comms which I clipped from a NASA TV rebroadcast of the
epic NASA PAO documentary on Apollo 11 during the NASA TV All-Night
Movies*. I have it clipped right up tight at the beginning, so there's
no noise ahead of the "attack", so when there's any system event that
sounds a tone, the tone pings in very nicely.)

*Yeah -- when the wife's job sends her out of town, I put myself to
sleep with the NASA TV All-Night PAO Reel Marathon -- no, not the Video
File, but those good old hard-boiled 60s/early 70s PAO documentaries.
Sad, huh?

--

..