NASA Budget 1958 - 2003 in constant (1996) dollars

Old July 17th 03, 05:13 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Default NASA Budget 1958 - 2003 in constant (1996) dollars

Rusty Barton wrote in
:

On 17 Jul 2003 00:30:59 GMT, "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

Cool! Where'd you find the 1958-61 numbers? I've only been able to
find back to 1962:

NASA Budget info 1958 - 1961:

http://www.richardb.us/nasa.htm - near bottom of page
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4102/ch7.htm Table 7-1 "Expenditures"
http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2002/digest2001/tables/dt035.asp - Federal

Thanks!

But what do we have for
around $ 370-billion? 3 old shuttles, 2 heaps of shuttle fragments,
1 incomplete space station,

And what did we get for Apollo? Two lawn-ornament Saturn Vs, several
museum-piece CMs, a virtual scrap-heap of spent S-IBs and S-ICs on the
Atlantic floor, and 800 lbs of rocks? Sure, that's a very utilitarian way
of looking at Apollo, but it's equivalent to the view of the shuttle that
you give.

a few planetary missions

A few? During the period you give (1970-2003), we got two Venus orbiters
(one carrying several atmospheric probes), several Mars orbiters and
landers, three Mars rovers, flybys of all the other planets except Pluto,
and orbiters of Jupiter and Saturn. We also got the Great Observatories -
Hubble, Compton, Chandra, and the upcoming SIRTF.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old July 17th 03, 05:17 AM
Mike Speegle

In news:Jorge R. Frank typed:
Rusty Barton wrote in
:

But what do we have for
around $ 370-billion? 3 old shuttles, 2 heaps of shuttle fragments,
1 incomplete space station,

And what did we get for Apollo? Two lawn-ornament Saturn Vs, several
museum-piece CMs, a virtual scrap-heap of spent S-IBs and S-ICs on the
Atlantic floor, and 800 lbs of rocks? Sure, that's a very utilitarian
way of looking at Apollo, but it's equivalent to the view of the
shuttle that you give.

a few planetary missions

A few? During the period you give (1970-2003), we got two Venus
orbiters (one carrying several atmospheric probes), several Mars
orbiters and landers, three Mars rovers, flybys of all the other
planets except Pluto, and orbiters of Jupiter and Saturn. We also got
the Great Observatories - Hubble, Compton, Chandra, and the upcoming
SIRTF.

Well said, Jorge. But I always wonder why so many people bitch and
whine and moan about NASA. Does not NASA do what Congress allows and is
willing to pay for? The bitching and whining and moaning would be
better directed to your local congress critter if you hope to accomplish
any progressive change in NASA. Or am I wrong in this attitude?
--
Mike
"Colorado Ski Country, USA" Come often, Ski hard,

NASA is coming along just fine now. Cardman Policy 2 July 8th 04 07:33 PM
Early CEV Mission Blurrt Policy 76 February 5th 04 05:45 PM
NASA Budget 1958 - 2003 in constant (1996) dollars Jorge R. Frank Space Shuttle 17 July 20th 03 10:01 PM
NASA Budget 1958 - 2003 in constant (1996) dollars dave schneider Policy 1 July 20th 03 08:16 AM
NASA Budget 1958 - 2003 in constant (1996) dollars Rusty B Policy 4 July 18th 03 10:14 PM