"Frontiers of Space", "Handbook of Model Rocketry," etc. for sale

Old March 27th 04, 06:07 AM
Scott Ferrin

Default "Frontiers of Space", "Handbook of Model Rocketry," etc. for sale

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 00:56:19 GMT, Scott Lowther
wrote:

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Just FYI if the Space Settlements, A Design Study is the one done in
1974 it is available in PDF format online. It's a 30Mb DL though.

It's a Good Thing that a lot of these docuemnts are being made avaialbel
online as PDF... but a lot is lost in the translation. Not only image
quality (some are REALLY bad), but also... just the *feel* of having the
actual book. Sorta sucks the soul out of a book.

When I was a kid I must have checked that thing out of the local
library a dozen times. I'd tried to find it for sale on ebay or
amazon on night with no luck and then found the pdf one online.
Old March 27th 04, 06:17 AM
Scott Ferrin

On 27 Mar 2004 01:35:05 GMT, Jim Davis
wrote:

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Just FYI if the Space Settlements, A Design Study is the one
done in 1974 it is available in PDF format online. It's a 30Mb
DL though.

Can you post a link? I've only seen it in html format he

http://lifesci3.arc.nasa.gov/SpaceSe...udy/Table_of_C
ontents1.html

Jim Davis

http://www.lsmd.caltech.edu/ae107/class/SP-413.PDF

Old March 27th 04, 07:31 PM
Jim Davis

Scott Ferrin wrote:

Can you post a link?

http://www.lsmd.caltech.edu/ae107/class/SP-413.PDF

Thanks!!

Jim Davis
Old March 28th 04, 09:03 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Lowther wrote:

It's a Good Thing that a lot of these docuemnts are being made avaialbel
online as PDF... but a lot is lost in the translation. Not only image
quality (some are REALLY bad), but also... just the *feel* of having the
actual book. Sorta sucks the soul out of a book.

Spoken like a true salesman! :-)
I can still remember getting my copy of that book when I was young; it
had all sorts of fascinating things in it; and I could never understand
why we didn't build any of those SSTO vehicles rather than the Shuttle;
the giant surface-launched Mars ship is really something!

Pat

Old March 28th 04, 01:15 PM
Scott Lowther

Pat Flannery wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

It's a Good Thing that a lot of these docuemnts are being made avaialbel
online as PDF... but a lot is lost in the translation. Not only image
quality (some are REALLY bad), but also... just the *feel* of having the
actual book. Sorta sucks the soul out of a book.

Spoken like a true salesman! :-)

More like a *buyer.* Yes, I coudl download a text version of Milton's
"Paradise Lost," for example, but I'd much rather read my giant 1903
edition with the Gustave Dore illustrations...

the giant surface-launched Mars ship is really something!

It's a ROMBUS, as was the Ithacus (originaly, and creepily, called the
"Icarus"). An all-round useful critter....

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old March 28th 04, 06:49 PM
Pat Flannery

Scott Lowther wrote:

It's a ROMBUS, as was the Ithacus (originaly, and creepily, called the
"Icarus"). An all-round useful critter....

Could you imagine the amount of air drag that thing would have generated
during ascent? Streamlined it's not.

Pat

Old March 28th 04, 07:51 PM
Scott Lowther

Pat Flannery wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

It's a ROMBUS, as was the Ithacus (originaly, and creepily, called the
"Icarus"). An all-round useful critter....

Could you imagine the amount of air drag that thing would have generated
during ascent? Streamlined it's not.

At that size it hardly matters.