Viewing tonight

Old May 25th 06, 07:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Viewing tonight

After watching some tv and doing a few chores inside tonight, I pulled out
"Galactica" and set it up behind the RV that the owner's mother drove up
here in. That not only blocked digbats porch light with it's 100watt bulb,
but also the slight wind too. I had to let the scope cool down as it had
been inside. I had my telvue 17mm and my UO 12mm Ortho and my #80A filter.

Dang but Jupiter is bright, even with the blue filter I could just make out
two bands. Then as the top of the fish hook was just moving between a gap in
the trees, I zeroed in and found after some searching for it, M5. Then I
checked out a few stars including one double which I'd never noticed being a
double before.

I notice the 12mm ortho was giving me a fuzzy image, so I looked at a porch
light with it next to my eye, YUK, the coating is in a bad way, all the
years of handling it, the coating looks like something you'd see on a slide
under a mricoscope and using a qtip i got dust off of it but the scrached
coating remained. So I figure sometime later this year I'll have to get
another one to replace this one. It was one of my most used EP's.

time for bed now.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

Old May 25th 06, 08:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I'm going to see if maybe there is someone who could remove the top coating,
as that is what seems to have gone downhill, I've seen almost the same thing
on a few old camera lens.

It's had a many eyes look threw it as on old B8 and my SG4 it was the main
planet EP I used.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

"Marty" wrote in message

Sad when you lose an old friend, but "blessed is he who can wear out an
eyepiece."
Marty